Emsisoft: ALL free AVs (except BD Free) try to install PUPs on your PC

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chillstream, Jan 18, 2015.

1. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

That Emsisoft blog post is pure rat ordure.

And I also ask Emsisoft: Where is your free product with the clearly defined opt-in/out "PUP"?

How pathetic is some posters above think EEK and their online scanner fill that "free" bill when Emsisoft's author, Mariska, clearly states, (third paragraph under Fact: 7 out of 8 free antivirus suites bundle with PUPs) "Please note that we only included full antivirus suites, not scanner-only products." DUH!

2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I googled now norton + ask and found a FAQ stating the following (although this is still on the Norton website, I also found on Wilders a thread which indicates that this was in the past, so maybe it is no longer the case: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...sk-com-symantec-heard-your-complaints.236466/ ):
    "Q: What about privacy? Symantec sends my data on Ask.com when I use Norton Safe Search?
    A: When you send a query about Norton Safe Search, your request will be forwarded to Ask.Com anonymously so that Ask.Com can handle the request and set the search results. Once you get to the hosted Ask.com Norton Safe Search result page Ask.com collects certain information. What information is collected, you can here read the privacy policy published by Ask.com. These include: your IP address, the source of your search, your browser and platform type and language preference. Ask.com can provide this information to third-party content and sponsored links.
    "
    "Q: Places Ask.com tracking cookies on my computer that record my activities online when I use Norton Safe Search?
    A: If you use Norton Safe Search, Ask.com places a tracking cookie on your computer or in your browser, as released by Ask.com Privacy Policy described. Only search queries and interactions with search results, click the Norton Safe Search Site are associated with your unique cookie ID. Ask.com traces the source of your search (either from the Norton Toolbar or from the Site on which you have started your search), the text of your requirements and your interaction with Norton Safe Search, including clicks on search results, on. Ask.com not collect any information from visits to other websites
    "

3. DX2

DX2 Guest

It's not hard to tell the difference. But not everyone wants a toolbar period..

4. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

When someone is giving something away completely free for huge number of consumers, then I support adding non-intrusive "offers" like google chrome, dropbox etc.
    What I don't support is adware/slowware/spyware/losingmymindware....
    One thing's for sure, I am so waiting Comodo's next blog :)

What I found concerning is this:

Then I took a number and found....

I would accept this report if they showed video/screenshot with ALL, globaly tested products there is [even fresh new ones], and not just popular names out there.
    Emsi usually has good blog, but all this has credibility screaming and crying in the corner....

Paid is NOT always better than free.

Sounds to me like someone is struggling to make more sales through fear....
    Coming next to a theater near you: [insertbrandname] popup Your subscription has expired, your computer has been infected, prepare for your doom, it's useless now, you're dead, this very moment you have over 1000000 viruses in your computer, which you can delete them all, 1000%, as long as you pay 59.99/month, or else!

This should be a good year for free folks out there :)

5. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Note that thread was closed because Safe Search was changed to disabled by default back in 2009.. Also Safe Search doesn't even EXIST in Norton as it was before - it's called 'Site Rating' is based off Norton's own databases, and can be toggled on/off via a simple toggle in settings on Norton. Also, Norton stopped using ASK in 2011 if I remember correctly. Also Norton 'site rating' doesn't set any cookie at all. We know you have a dislike for Norton because they don't agree with your testing methods (neither do I), but let's post accurate information here..

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I do not have any dislike for Norton. So please stop stating this. Symantec still participates in some of our public tests and reviews (e.g. the business review) and there is no bad relationship with Symantec like some users try to insinuate.

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

My apologies. I had read some musings where some felt there was some bad blood. I'm happy to accept those as inaccurate.

8. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

I'm surprised how many people here seem to have absolutely no problem with the fact that antiviruses come with PUPs. Guys, these products are meant to find and remove them, not to install even more of them! But people here rather bash us for telling homeusers about that because we could benefit from that (oh dear). We have published that article for two reasons:

1. We believe that there is something very very wrong in this industry, which makes us ashamed to be part of it. Someone needs to stand up to say "stop that ~ Snipped ~!". Obviously, none of the big vendors would ever do that because they're sitting in the same boat and make a hell lot of money with these bundles.

2. Given that we don't offer any free full antivirus (just a free scanner like dozens of others), we maintain a sort of neutral position when it comes to 'reviewing' full products that are indirectly paid by ads/tracking.

Of course there is no doubt that we run our blog for marketing our own products. That's what vendors of products typically do. ;)

Our mission will be accomplished when the media picks up that topic, does their own tests and inform people about PUPs. That's in my opinion the only way to stop or at least slow down that ugly trend in software industry.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It may be a good browser, but when I have to stand guard to keep it from being installed when I don't want it, it becomes crapware to me. Actually it's not the the browser is bad, but the company behind it.....

10. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

11. DX2

DX2 Guest

Yes I understand this.

12. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Totally agree....this is why I use EMSISOFT products and encourage all my friends to do the same.....

13. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

@GakunGak you're right. The statement "all free antiviruses" may be misleading. We have fixed that in the article now. Sorry about that.

14. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

It is a business model for free applications, instead of money you get to advertise your privacy. Since it's the user's choice to make I don't disagree with the method (as long as it's not in a premium product with payment involved or it's done secretly without informing the user at some point). As the definition states they are "Potentially Unwanted". Some people are unhappy with the post because you don't even offer a free product with real-time protection, many of your culprits offer free on-demand scanners without pups too which is not mentioned as far as I can see.

Also using users ignorance as an excuse is not a great point (They don't even know they install these). You are agreeing to their TOS, and many of them show the decency to make installing these PUP as options. It's like shopping with your credit card and trying to not to pay the bill since you didn't know they would take the money back. You sign the contract when you get the card.

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OTOH, sometimes on this forum certain "affinities" are apparent, especially w.r.t. certain products and companies. ;)

16. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Agree with Christian. I believe Emsisoft is one of the 'good guys' in the AV industry. As far as I have seen, they have always been fair, responsive, and generally seem to run an ethical business operation.

Google bashing is usually so lame.

Google is an environmentally friendly company. Google is an employee friendly company. And Google produces a lot of free and low cost software that works well for us consumers.

And contrary to the claims of many Google bashers, Google is actually pretty good with consumer privacy issues.

Google came in and dramatically improved the whole browser landscape with Chrome. Google Picasa became one of the best in its class free or paid. And the Google translation products quickly became better than many of the competing paid products.... all at a cost of free to us consumers. And the list goes on..

Bravo Google.

17. vlk

vlk AV Expert

Avast is in no way connected with "Software Informer". No idea where the screenshot in the article is coming from.

I can understand the idea behind the article, though. On the flip side, it's kind of understandable that if a product is free, financing has to eventually come from some other sources (and conversions from free to paid may not do it). Then, bundling other software is one of the options.

Now, let me put this straight: we at Avast have always tried to only bundle top products that we ourselves use, and that we have no problem recommending. Namely, Chrome and Dropbox. Calling these "PUPs" is not only false but also quite unfair to the AV product vendor(s).

Cheers,
    Vlk

18. SLE

SLE Registered Member

How do you know your users want them? So they are POTENTIALLY UNWANTED ;) point.
    Recommending is not the problem, you can recommend BUT use an "opt in" option. Instead an "opt-out" option is used. Why? Is there some hope that enough users don't are careful and so money money money?

Does AVAST detect PUPs in other programs? Why? ("We are allowed to bring PUPs but others not" - opinon ?)
    When I look like some companies which offer free AVs buy other products and companies, than for me it is hard to believe that they have financial shortings.
    So please accept: Your company "attacks" competitors with a free AV, other competitors "attack" your company because of the PUPs. That's the game :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  19. anon

anon Registered Member

O.T.
    Location: Nelson, New Zealand..... and not Thalgau, Salzburg....... Sounds Interesting..... Mr. CEO .....

20. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

21. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

sorry, should've been more clear, no it's not, but why the heck would a security program be forcing you to install a browser by default and there are 2 checkmarks that you need to untick to get around it, which most n00bs obviously will ignore and just end up with an extra browser that they may or not need.

Any software that prompts me to install anything else goes out the windows and I look for alternatives. if it's paid, it's better because I know it has some sort of quality into it and no crapware.

22. Mortal Raptor

Mortal Raptor Banned

Does unchecky really ever work? the one time I tried it, it didn't do a thing so I uninstalled it and never looked back

23. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

What adware downloader? I think Baidu's products are excellent. I've installed PC Faster on a number of computers, and Baidu Anitivirus on a few.

Malwarebytes was detecting adware related to Baidu, but this was a false positive which was fixed a few days ago after I reported it to them.

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It does, as long as the product is in the database (autoupdated). I've tested it on a machine for a few weeks, and it worked nicely. Also you need to permit host file edit by the installation.

Does Emsisoft ever go on sale? I have 10 machines in the home to protect. So I need at the least - a good discount on a 5-seat license so I can buy 2. I've waited months for a good sale, and never find one. Although I admit to having issues when I install it, I believe they solved the BSOD issue with the last patch. Does Emsisoft have any sort of reputation/insight mechanism? I find that protects my machines the best.. Neverless.. Waiting for a sale.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.