Emsioft Anti-Malware Makes Folders In My Documents

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DasFox, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I don't know what it is about companies that don't believe in respecting users rights. But that directory called 'MY' Documents means just that MINE!

Well Anti-Malware dumps in a folder with two sub-directories for reports and scans. Personally this is not where I want to see this information in My Documents.

I'd rather see Emsisoft create a Start Menu path, that an end-user can just access it there, but each to his own as most of us say and there should simply be an option to allow you where you want to have this information stored.

What's really funny is this is suppose to be a Behavior Blocking application, something that reports you of activities that are going on behind your back, yet they take the liberty to install folders behind the end-users back without any notice, LOL... Talk about breaking your own rules... :thumbd:

So, forgive me if I've over looked it, but has anyone seen any options where you can pick where you'd like these folders placed?

THANKS

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

there's plenty of programs that installs folders in My Documents.

don't worry about it if you like the program.

3. blazr63

blazr63 Registered Member

I use that program - was a-squared a short while ago. False positives were an issue with it, but maybe that's been resolved in the newer iteration?

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for me it is bloated and walk slowed as a turtle:)

5. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

Please read the official Microsoft guidelines for creating windows applications. User created data should always be put in the user profile folder, because you can't expect that the software is ran with admin rights and therefore it has no access no write anywhere else.

Check out the Software/Emsi Software GmbH/a-squared/ key in HKLM registry root. There you can edit the default folders for the reports.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, but you save them in My Documents, but isn't that what the AppData folder is for?
    For example, the path for MBAM logs is:
    C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

JM, when did you use it last? And did you use it on its own, or with other applications installed?

Users on here are saying new version is quite light.

8. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

My Documents is to be used for user created documents. The Anti-Malware scanner logs are such documents that are important for further use.

Internal software logs (like update log, guard logs, etc) are not store there, but in a central database.

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry, wrong I beg to differ.

Anything that is needed by the program should be installed into the C:\Program Files\path not 'My Documents'

This is plain wrong that developers start adopting this mentality. Before long you'll be digging through piles of folders from developers dumping everything into users My Documents directory.

I personally do not want anything in My Documents unless I create it.

It's the users computer, it's their rights and you violate computer users rights and respect when you as developers do this! :thumbd:

Stick your stuff under C:\Program Files\path and then if developers are so worried about the end-user not seeing these things, then have shorcut links made for them to be added into the start menu programs sections...

Let's not put the blame on the end-user and tell them to suck it up, what's the problem with putting things in C:\Program Files\path? I'll tell you, nothing! So put it there! ;)

10. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

If you're still running Windows 98 it would be OK, but most people aren't. This sort of thinking by some developers is the reason their apps don't work right in a LUA.

A limited user account has no write access to %Program Files%, that's what's wrong with it. Emsisoft explained this in a posting above.

11. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

My Documents does seem odd, don't know of any other security software that puts stuff in there !

That's what i've come to expect, and i do see security software stuff in there, and elsewhere apart from Program Files.

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Let's look at it this way, where on a box do you think it's the safest to store such data, because we are talking about Security here and it certainly isn't in User-Space that is what is the dumbest thing about all this that a so called security professional company is sticking something in User-Space where it has no place belonging in the first place and that's all there is to it, plain and simple!

And even if these are only for reports and logs, it's still about a SECURITY application, so again, no matter what it is, user-space is not the best place!

Emsisoft stick it somewhere under the application directory...

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

theyve already answered why it is where it is... i dont personally know if thers an alternative location to store these files under the circumstances that Emsisoft pointed out, but they have already told us their reason for its placement.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

What this lame excuse below, from the so called Security Experts placing what are suppose to be security related logging into User-Space?

The FACT that they are dumping this sort of thing into User-Space goes to show that Emsisoft doesn't seem to know much when it comes to OS security. :thumbd:

15. curious george

curious george Registered Member

I'm not too sure if i've read the above correctly, and if i did, someone please correct me, but a program CANNOT place files in C:\Program files if the user is running it under a limited account. I think in windows vista/7, if you want to save anything under the program folder, that stupid alert pops up telling you, and if you have a limited account, i dont think that alert will even come.

It makes everything much easier, less complicated, and hey...if you dont like the program, you dont have to use it ey?

16. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

You can't install much as a Limited User, but what was already installed can write to C: :)

EAM isn't to bad a program, I just don't like seeing developers do what is wrong, from a perspective of respecting the user's rights and also doing what is better on the part of OS security and not dumping into User-Space.

17. emsisoft

emsisoft Security Expert

It's not about respecting user's rights. We just have different views on what the Anti-Malware reports actually are.

We say that they are user created 'documents'. Like Word or Excel documents that are important to easily locate for novice users.

You say that they're some kind of application internal "data". Like settings files or data processing logs.

Both views are not explicitly right or wrong I guess.

I accept that users may have different views and therefore we've implemented a way to change the default paths if you don't agree with our view.

That's it. EOT for me.

18. firzen771

personally i dont really like having it in the documents section, but i completely see Emsisofts point of how they are user documents, the logs are meant for the user to be able to review, they dont effect the functioning of the program, so it is simply a document for the user, hence why its in Documents

but i just like to keep everythin really clean on my system, thats the only reason i dont like it being there :p

19. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

That's not correct and it's one of the reasons poorly programmed apps don't work right in a limited account.

How is this violating your rights? It has to write the logs and save the custom scan profiles somewhere. Contrary to your perception, writing them to %Program Files% is not safer. You would be forced to run as admin (a security app that requires you to run as admin is an oxymoron) or give the LUA write permissions to that directory, which is defeating the purpose of a limited account.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Either move the directory somewhere that pleases your sensibilities and change the path in the registry or uninstall the app. Nobody's forcing you to use it.

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

LOL, i feel like this is a non sense arguing :rolleyes: :ninja:

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

23. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry double post by mistake... :(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  24. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

1. It is about respecting users rights. No there are no different views it's the way in which Microsoft designed the system for the end-user to have their own directory to place their items. Now developers such as yourself come along and want to rewrite the book and start dumping everything into User-Space and cluttering it up.

2. Comparing to Office is not correct, because one is a business application, the other security. Security doesn't go in User-Space for many reasons your company failed to see, that shows your lack of security professionalism too.

3. Both views, this has nothing to do with both personal views there is a correct Professional Standard in which Microsoft originally developed that you are stepping on.

4. Again this is not about personal views, ideas or opinions this is about Professional Standards that seemed to have gotten lost along the way with your company and many others...

Because it's your computer and Microsoft developed a standard that you don't seem to be aware of. Now developers are coming, telling you how to use your computer and directories if you want to use their programs. To some people this might not seem like a problem and a big issue, it all depends on what you use your computer for and then for others there is a problem.

Program Files is suppose to be safer if you are using your computer the way it was meant to be used. User-Space is never safer then the ROOT of the system.

Sorry it's not a mountain it's about protecting our rights and not having companies tell us how to use our computers. Maybe you see this as something small on a personal level, but on a professional level of Computing Standards it is not.

I do not have a problem as long as companies give users a choice and Emsisoft did not, they simply took it upon themselves to decide what they wanted to do to our systems and dump into User-Space without giving the end-user a choice in the installer to pick another path, this is one of the problems here, besides not picking a more suitable path for security related things, etc...

And the BIGGEST problem you all have seem to not be aware of, MS might have some of the biggest shares in the computer world but it is also not everything. Windows is not the only OS even though we are talking about a Windows based application, because what happens many times across one platform also affects others, I know I work in Unix and Windows and I see this happening often.

And last I'm not speaking from the perspective as one personal user but a Professional that works and makes a living as an IT Tech so I know better and this is about upholding Standards for the End-Users! :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  25. firzen771

i dont see this harming me? i dont have a problem with it to that extent, dont superimpose the problems u have with it onto others...

and my view is, the logs are for users, the program doesnt need those logs to function, logs are made for hte user to be able to view and see whats happening with the software their running, so it makes sense that its in user space

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.