EMERGENCY

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Lewiss, Sep 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lewiss

Lewiss Registered Member

I have a CD-ROM that has 2 1/2 years of my first born son's pics on it. I take pics and put them on there. It is half full and tonight I went to access it an I got this error......""the track reserved for ISO-9660 is Damaged. Drive reported an unknown error 0x8000000e."" I cant access any of the pics and I am freaking out..Please help me.......Lewis

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

i have had a similar experience. Try the disc in another computer and if possible try it in a DVD drive that will read cd's. A DVD reader with CD reading capability seems to read a damaged or old disc a bit better than just a CD drive. And contrary to popular belief CD's will go bad in two or three years in some cases.

3. leccy

leccy Registered Member

Try www.isobuster.com it can view CD's and get back files from corrupt CD's

Good luck.... I didnt get all of my files back from the CD but did get most of them... and luckly I had a second copy of the missing files :D

4. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi BigC,

Why do you think that is?
    In your experience, was it a specific media type CDRW, CDR, DVDR, DVDRW(and all the +- variants)?
    Was it brand specific? Are some brands better than others longevity wise?
    Was it related to the way the disc was formatted (udf-DirectCD, UDF inCD, etc)?

I thought they were supposed to last for (can't remember) at least 10-50 years.
    Do you think it could be related to the environment the media is stored in?
    For example, film photographic prints delaminate with repeated temperature and/or humidity cycling (like hot dry summers followed by cold wet winters).
    Could something similar be happening on a smaller scale? Like the thin film on the polycarbonate disc slightly delaminating just enough to make the data unreadable?
    I've never had this happen to me yet, so I'd like to know how to avoid it!

5. bigc73542

I read an article by Memorex about the different types of CD's and the line of the article was that the silver backed CD's will last the least amount of time, 3/6 years. Different Brand names are better than others but still they recomend the silver cd's for a shorter length of storage time. And the Indigo blue should be reliable storage for at least ten years. And the Black or gold disc's should be reliable for 40+ years depending on the way they are stored. I guess now that the cd's and DVD's have been around long enough to get a real time idea of how they last they have shortened their estimates a bit. What I have been able to find is that the Dye layer that is actually used to hold the series of indentations that make the actual data being stored is slowly degrading.

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Thanks BigC! :)

8. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

Also, I've heard that it's better to burn CDs at a slower speed.

9. leccy

leccy Registered Member

Did you manage to recover any of the pictureso_O?

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

All,
    Very interesting information on such a bad problem. I hope we get a post back on success of suggestions offered. :doubt:

Given what has been said what would be the best way to store images?

11. bigc73542

I store mine on memorex black and gold CD's. Will probably last longer than cd's will be used ;)

12. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Thanks BigC. I will try hard to remember this. Like you said I also have heard film on plastic disk doesn't last for ever and can go bad. Storage conditions plays a big role.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.