email scan problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by jagx400, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jagx400

jagx400 Registered Member

I have the purchased version of NOD32 installed and it works fine except for some emails, when I am recieving them a small grey box appears telling me its downloading an email, and at this moment it is taking 6.46 mins to d/l a 46.5 kB email presumabley scanning it also, I am on 1.5 meg BB so should be faster than that. My email client (it does it with them all) then times out but nod carries on all the same. If I manually stop the operation and restart the email the mail comes thru normally. It only seems to do this on some emails not all. It must be a problem with NOD as if I switch it off all is as it should be. I have tried customer support but as yet had no reply

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Jagx400, welcome to Wilders. What email client are you using?

Can you please download a FRESH copy of Nod32 from www.nod32.com

Uninstall your current version.

Remove the Eset Folder from C Drive> Program Files.

Install the FRESH copy of Nod32 that you downloaded above.

Let us know how you go…

Cheers :D

3. jagx400

My email client at the moment is incredimail, but the wife uses outlook express and it still does it, My installation of nod32 is fresh as I have just reformatted, I have just sent myself 2 files one large and a small one, the small one (66k) arrived fine the larger one (141k) did not arrive as the "server timed out", I had to log on to my email via the internet and deleted it there, so as not to tie up my email

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Incredimail installs a plugin into outlook express - and the whole process of using incredimail is fraught with problems, as the program basically proxies your email connection.

There are LOTS of issues with incredimail - privacy - spyware - and more... I would recommend ditching incredimail NOW.

Don't just take my word for it though...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=incredimail connection problem

A quick google search for incredimail connection problem yielded 11,800 results

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=incredimail virus problem

googling incredimail virus problem yielded 26,100 results

NOD32 is apparently not the only AV solution to have problems dealing with the incredimail program.

I know we had a client running it as an email program, and when he fully uninstalled it, he could collect email from our mail servers - when incredimail was installed, email could not be collected - bearing in mind that we have hundreds of clients collecting email every hour without a single glitch - the client was adamant that his system was not at fault as incredimail support was sure it was our mailservers - yeah... RIGHT!!

My personal opinion of the software would probably get the post moderated - or me banned - but anything that costs me money when my clients install it should be burned and banned forever.

We now state on our support pages that we do NOT and WILL NOT support incredimail or similar email proxying email clients...

hth

Greg Hewitt-Long

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  5. jagx400

Shall I ditch Outlook 2003 as well then and Thunderbird as it did the same on them as well, The outlook express on my PC is seperate from Incredimail, as the wife has her own account on it, I will uninstall incredimail, but the problem still remains, to the point where I am considering changing to another Antivirus program

6. Anybody

Anybody Guest

REMOVE the IncrediMail !

That's what causes your problems.

7. webyourbusiness

You are missing the point - the incredimail has INFESTED the computer and all the email clients it finds by taking over your email connections - REGARDLESS of the email client you use.

Once incredimail is on the machine, you have something BETWEEN you and the web server - and that "something" is incredimail.

Incredimail as a company do things in their own way to justify their existence, you are asking TOO MUCH of anyone to support your problem - OTHER than the providers of incredimail.

I don't know if I can put it plainer - the incredimail is the SOURCE of your problems - regardless of the email program you are using to view your email.

If you are not willing to accept that incredimail is the cause of these problems, just get used to the fact that you have problems - they are NOT going to go away while you have your email "filter" that is the incredimail system on your computer.

8. jagx400

I had this problem BEFORE I had even heard of incredimail, and where on the NOD32 site does it say it doesn't support Incredimail, as I cant find where or did I misunderstand. Oh and please keep cool I am new here, only want advise and yes I am listening to you about incredimail

9. webyourbusiness

I don't know that it does say on the NOD32 site that incredimail isn't supported - I was talking about our hosting company - http://www.aaabusinesshosting.com - the details on incredimail are in our support pages (somewhere) - sorry, should have made that clearer.

Feb. 2004 FAQ entry about incredimail on our hosting site

You should also be aware that I am not an Eset employee, or even representative - I work for and am a co-owner of Web Your Business Inc. and AAA Business Hosting - we are one of many NOD32 resellers ONLY. We resell via the domain in my signature, which is NOT an official Eset web site, but only a reseller web site (one I'm particularly proud of though, as I built 90% of it myself, wrote the scripts to pull the latest definitions version etc.).

My background is software development, database and unix systems administration for almost 20 years - I am passionate about systems that work, and not having to deal with systems that don't - sorry if that if that comes across as uncool - I do not mean to be, but have wasted a LOT of time with our hosting clients over that particular piece of software... :(

regards

Greg

btw - I am cool :cool: - sorry if you thought otherwise - there are a LOT more caps. and exclamation marks when I am not cool... ;)

10. jagx400

LOL Thanks for the replies, and shall take your advise on board

11. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

You might also try experimenting with the POP3 compatibility setting under Imon/Setup/POP3/Compatibility Setup.

If the slider is on maximum efficiency, try the middle setting to see if it makes a difference. Worst case is that you need to set it all the way to the left, to Maximim Compatibility, but then IMON is unable to intervene in emails at all, so you lose the benefits of NOD email scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.