Email Notification - settings problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 222fbj, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 222fbj

222fbj Registered Member

I always get an error when testing my email settings.

The settings are the exact same as used with 'sendmail' - a simple batch emailer that uses the same info (smtp server, user, etc).
    http://www.daveswebsite.com/software/sendmail/index.shtml

Are there any known problems with email settings...or any ideas why I get errors when using 'good' settings?

thanks

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Try putting the angled brackets around the email address(es).

F.

3. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi 222FBJ.

As foghorne stated try putting angle brackets around your E-MAIL like this <MyID@MyISP.com>, also do NOT add any logon info to E-Mail settings and take the default port, The E-MAIL notify will NOT work with any internet E-mail providers like Hotmail, Yahoo or GMail!

Hope that Helps,
    Steve

4. 222fbj

222fbj Registered Member

Thanks for the help - adding < and > solved the problem. :)

5. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

The problem here is that RFC (2)821, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol does state that as far as the protocol is concerned the angled brackets are necessary. Fair enough, but it is not common for email clients' user interfaces to ask for these to be input.

The last time I looked the TI user guide did not mention the fact that these needed to be added. ideally, the software should just quietly add these delimiters, but if it doesn't then why on earth isn't basic SMTP address syntax validation being carried out? Why isn't the unusual requirement to add these characters mentioned in the user guide.

Acronis could easily reduce support costs on cases like these. For some reason they don't seem to care.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.