Email Hacking

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by jpcummins, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I read today from a member's posting on facebook the following. "When a hacker tries to get in your address book and the first one they get is !000 they can't go any further."

Anyone know if this is true or not. Years ago I placed my own email address in my address book so that I would be alerted should my computer be sending emails without my knowledge. But, if the above is true then that is what I will do. Asking for suggestions or recommendations from those more knowledgeable than myself.

As always I appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I deleted my hotmail and gmail contacts. If I want to send a message, either new or forward/reply, there is a history of addresses I have sent or addresses in my inbox/saved folders that auto populates. I find since this happens, I don't need contacts. Might be something peculiar to me, but since it works, I will roll with it.

I have never read what you mention, but then I have never specifically looked at that type of thing either.

Sul.

3. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Would anyone like to hazard a guess? Any programmers out there that could tell me the significance of "!000" if any? Any ideas of where I could ask this question and receive a correct answer. If no one knows the correct answer just make something up I won't know the difference. Seriously, any replies will be appreciate and I would thank you in advance.

John

4. x942

x942 Guest

It's Merely a hoax..

In theory it could work against a poorly written worm where it causes a buffer-overflow or crash. I have seen some worms perform badly when testing random inputs (fuzzing). This hoax may very well have started because of someones idea about fuzzing malware :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.