Email file compression

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jun 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

On this compression subject. The pop-up panel that shows every time OE closes is a global nuisance, there are volumes covering this on the net.

Most of it is not too explicit. Can anybody here state a simple way of killing off this pop-up ? It is programmed to show every 100 shut downs of OE, then stays until OK is pressed, then awaits the next 100 closures.

Two main methods are voiced :-
    1. Extract the registry key that controls "Compress Count Check" and change the count to from 100 to 0. Alternatively to a high value say 1,000+.
    2. When the pop-up shows, leave the panel displayed, bring up Task Manager >Applications. OE is shown running, RT click it and click "Go to Process".
    The writer says that this stops any more pop-ups.

I did try to bring up the linked solution given in (1), but it was no longer there.

I have not tried any of these or any other method yet, not being into trial and error. I hope that Wilders comments on the above, whether +/- will explain more confidently and clearly or lead to other methods being proposed.

This subject has been hacked to death and whilst I have read a lot of this material which all sounds logical, I still have no confidence in trying any of them due to the confusing variety of solutions and negative comments.
    However, knowing how to extract the Compress Count Check key, changing the value and updating it, is risk free. It can be reversed at any time and no harm is done. I simply do not know how to do this extraction. I believe it is done through REGEDIT.

John B

I did compress manually two small folders as a trial. No bad thing happened, all the mails were still there and I noticed no difference in viewing or access. But if there is an interruption during the compression, I am told that all files will be lost.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Say John, you have more than one "identity" in this below directory? SysDrive represents probably "C" on your box.

%systemdrive%:\documents and settings\your_username\application data\identities\

It'll be displayed as a number, {FF7D66BF-47D0-4736-8C1F-2AEC3CE9DEFD} for example.

In your registry:

xp_oe_identity.gif

Whatever it is - let's have it so we can lay this thread to rest.

3. John Bull

Cannot thank you enough for your help.

I went into REGEDIT and the following panels came up regarding Compact Check Count and Identities. The number you refer to is that at the base of the main panel, it is shown under Identities and forms part of the User Key.
    See attachment - I hope it comes out, my first try.
    Compact Check Count.JPG (158.6 KB), bbcode to display in post body: Compact Count Check.JPG

This link is going the same way - http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact
    See :-
    1. Close Outlook Express and all message windows.
    2. Click Start, click Run and type without quotes "regedit".
    3. Navigate to this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0
    where GUID is the long number used for your Identity.
    4. In the right-hand pane, double-click "Compact Check Count", then change the value to zero.

BUT Steve, the small panel shows "a9e" NOT a numeric value. I expected to see "100", I cannot just change "a9e" to zero surely. I don`t know what the hell "a9e" is supposed to mean.

Hope this is OK Steve.What next ?
    Actually all this is to do with that damned pop-up panel that shows at the closure of OE every time. The aim is to get rid of it. The net is full of people who want to kill it and I have not seen any explicit answer given yet.

Thanks a million. Should be GlobalGenious.
    John

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  4. GlobalForce

Throw this in your runbox John, what's she list - %homepath%\applic~1\identi~1

To make it easier, runbox: cmd

Then: dir %homepath%\applic~1\identi~1 ==> rt clk, select all, copy. Paste here.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  5. GlobalForce

PS - Put the other stuff aside'n hang with me. Nevermind the value, gimme a reg shot with "identities" expanded.

6. John Bull

List attached. All are empty except the one red spotted.
    Identities 2.JPG (60.8 KB), bbcode to display in post body: Identities 2.JPG

7. GlobalForce

That red one - rt clk, select rename, copy and paste to notepad then cancel the rename - we need the entire identity.

8. John Bull

Identities 4.JPG (15.2 KB), bbcode to display in post body: Identities 4.JPG

9. GlobalForce

John, from a prompt - runbox: cmd

Then: dir %homepath%\applic~1\identi~1 > desktop\identity_lst.txt

Copt / paste the contents of "identity_lst.txt" from your desktop.

Fonts display different on Nix, I don't wanna interpret an image.

10. GlobalForce

Hang tight - we're almost there!

11. GlobalForce

Uh, John - the c / p from the previous directory. Peeps don't understand helpers are unable to be exact when dealing with images.

Dump to your runbox: %homepath%\applic~1\identi~1

Rt-clk the identity, rename ==> c / p to notepad, cancel, then forward as the same - c / p.

12. GlobalForce

Runbox: cmd

Then: reg query "hkcu\identities\{cb0b915f-c56a-456c-8bc3-55a514736036}\software\microsoft\outlook express\5.0" /v "compact check count"

Yields ...? If wrong - chalk it up to image interpretation.

Smaller font to prevent cmdline from wrapping.

13. John Bull

ident no..JPG

14. GlobalForce

Another image - not exact. This (entered @ a prompt) provide output? It'll tell me whether my interpretation's right or wrong:

Code:
    reg query "hkcu\identities\{cb0b915f-c56a-456c-8bc3-55a514736036}\software\microsoft\outlook express\5.0" /v "compact check count"
    BOOM! Copy / paste - 1-2-3. A return value clears take-off!

John, once we confirm this number we're set, I can forward the final post.

Your exact identity is the all important clincher!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  15. GlobalForce

PS - Nothing'll happen if the cmd's wrong. It's a "query" - no data altering input involved.

16. John Bull

Pasted the above in the cmd.exe command box and got "Bad operation"

17. GlobalForce

Search drive (c?) :\documents and settings\username\application data\identities ... find the appropriate identity, goto rename so you can copy, cancel, then c/p the corrosponding data forum-side.

PS - It's important you respond to every request:

All you need to supply is an actual copy'n paste of your existing identity.

Supply this and we're one post shy the final.

==========

Or - runbox: cmd

Type: cd \

Then: reg export hkcu\identities jbreg_identities.txt

Now a sole "backslash" in your runbox places you in the dirctory where you'll find "jbreg_identities.txt" for posting.

Attach in the same manner you would an image. Sans <attach>tags</attach> would be fine as well.

18. John Bull

GlobalForce - reply to your post 42 later. Cannot thank you enough for your magnificent help.

Compact Check Count - see post 28, re, the pop-up compact reminder panel.

I have changed the EDIT DWORD VALUE to ZERO = 0. Run>Regedit>Identities>long ident number(first item)>Outlook Express - expand>5.0>Compact Check Count, then just double click Compact Check Count, change the value to zero whatever is showing in Value Data and leave the hexadecimal checked.

It works like a dream, the compacting panel no longer comes up, but the count is increasing every time I logon and close OE by +1 each time. Presumably it will keep increasing until it reaches 100 and then the panel will come back.

OK, when it does, I will then change the DWORD value back to 0 again, no problem, the Regedit alteration is very simple, no hardship at all. So the solution given below works perfectly and the panel is killed off until OE shut downs reach 100. Not sure where the magic value of 100 to reactivate the panel is in OE, if I did I would change it to 1,000, but resetting the Count back to zero will do for now.
    E.g :-
    1. Close Outlook Express and all message windows.
    2. Click Start, click Run and type without quotes "regedit".
    3. Navigate to this key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0 where GUID is the long number used for your Identity.
    4. In the right-hand pane, double-click "Compact Check Count", then change the value to zero.

This is a solution that many users have asked for on the net. All I can say to them is logon to Wilders and their troubles will be over.

PLEASE NOTE ;- This panel thing is not just a cosmetic job, it is dangerous ! Whilst the Administrator knows exactly what to do and to hit the "X" on the panel to cancel it, other people using the same machine can easily hit "OK" and all the Emails will then be compacted with the possibility of a real OE system failure if things go wrong, loss of folders and mails. I had a loss of folders/mails on OE due to my own fault and it cost me 60 bucks to get it all back again.

John B

19. GlobalForce

Here's how Jerry Ed's post sets up (modified to suit). The "guid" part, unless you're unable to work out - I'll leave for you.

Runbox: cmd ==> opens your cmd shell.

Enter: mkdir %homedrive%\tasks ==> creates the folder "tasks" on your system drive.

==========

Open notepad - copy, paste and save this to your "tasks" folder as nocompact.reg
    Code:
    REGEDIT4

[hkey_current_user\identities\{[color=blue]your_guid_goes_here[/color]}\software\microsoft\outlook express\5.0]
    "Compact Check Count"=dword:00000000
    ==========

Open another notepad - copy, paste and save this to our previous folder as nocompact.bat
    Code:
    regedit.exe /s %homedrive%\tasks\nocompact.reg
    ==========

This, as launchoe.bat to the same folder - tasks.
    Code:
    @echo off

rem ---change registry so email wont compress---

call %homedrive%\tasks\nocompact.bat

start %homedrive%\progra~1\outloo~1\msimn.exe
    ==========

Ready to go!

tasks_set.gif

From within the same folder rt-clk and shortcut "launchoe.bat" - drag to your desktop and we're ;) set.

Proofed and complete - regardless ones system/homedrive location.

Will this work on anyones XP box? Absolutely!

20. John Bull

A kind of intermediate summary.

Regarding that irritating compact reminder panel that pops up every time OE is shut down :- My post 43 gives a simple solution of how to get rid of it.
    I have done it but it does climb at +1 every time OE is shut down - so what ?
    When it comes back, all I will do is set the count back to zero.

Compacting is only necessary for large data storage, where it becomes serious to the system capacity. It is not necessary for normal data storage accumulated due to daily operations, until the matter is neglected for so long that capacity is jeopardised.

Now ! If one is going to signal that capacity is becoming threatened due to data volume, then one talks of GB/MB/KB, NOT number of shut downs of a particular system - that is ridiculous and nothing to do with it. One may as well talk about the weather.

Whatever is being proposed by MS ? Are they saying that a completely empty system is going to be bombarded with warning panels just because it has been opened and shut down a certain number of times ? Preposterous !
    It is nothing but a sick joke.

Even then, what are they talking about ? The total mails shown under Local Folders or the hard disk storage of all mails issued and received since Adam & Eve ? It would be nice to know and be presented with the MB/KB problem, not counting shut downs and then waving a red flag.

So there it is. Panel killed off and no compacting until I know why compacting is necessary in terms of capacity - MB/KB.

The contribution on this important thread made by GlobalForce in terms of sheer logic and practical technical assistance is phenomenal and worth reading by all users plagued by the issue involved. I would suggest that the large numbers of users who have posted their anxiety about this problem on other net sources - read this thread.

John B

21. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just to keep things in perspective John, you will never be able to work out how many thousands and thousands of users like me just compact their emails and get on with other things without any problem at all.

I just don't see it as a problem, I just treat the email compacting as a sort of virtual filing cabinet. Mail piles up on my desk, it is dealt with, and then I file it away. Job done.

Just because you fear you may have issues if you do it, doesn't mean that other users should fear the same.

22. John Bull

Excellent advice Stapp.

My attitude is laid down in my post. Until I know how much is in my box, I won`t spend time on it. I don`t tidy up a few items just because the lid is taken off and put back on after a specified number of times. Only when capacity is threatened will I pay attention to it.

Fair comments by all, including me. It is up to a reader to make their own mind up about Spring Cleaning. No harm done, compact if you wish in accordance with the 100 shut down limit or manually every day for that matter.

I happen to be very much against doing something that is unnecessary unless a problem is posed and extremely concerned about the risks that compacting may cause in the event of a malfunction or human error.

In my case with only 526 mails on my OE, it is a waste of time. As I said, if somebody can tell me how much MB/KB is stuffed on my hard drive, I will listen.

One thing I do not want in common with many others is that infernal panel keep popping up every time I shut down. It is dangerous where other users operate the same machine.

I hope we have sealed this issue now and leave it for readers to make their own minds up.

John B

23. John Bull

See post 43.

Since I put the count to zero, it has now passed the magic 100 and still no OE compression nagware pop-up panel - Whoopee ! I reckon it has been exorcised.

John B

STOP PRESS !
    Oh no it has`nt - its back again at a count of 104. Anyhow GOTCHA - I just reset it back to zero and put it to sleep for another 100. Took about 5 seconds to KO it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  24. John Bull

Having cracked the "Compact Check Count" by resetting it to zero every 100 shutdowns, I would be very grateful if somebody could tell me how to tweak the setting that makes this infernal and irritating panel pop-up every 100 shutdowns.

It is there somewhere in the same Regedit listing as the Compact Check Count, but I myself cannot recognise it. It is probably purposely disguised to stop tweakers like us from changing it. I want to alter this setting - whatever it is now, to activate at a higher value - say 500.

The net gave a simple means of doing this, but it was not sufficiently explained and was therefore useless.

John B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.