Email clients that keep email on the webserver

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Ibrad, Sep 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Hi,

I am looking for a email client that lets me log in without having to open my internet browser to my webmail homepage (hotmail/gmail), yet keeps all my email on the webserver to I can still access all it via a browser (webmail). I used outlook in the past but did not like how it erased all my email from the web server so I could not read past email on a different machine. What webmail client does not erase all mail of the webserver? If I remember correctly Windows Live Mail does not but I want to make sure that it still true today.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yes but I was going by default setting, plus my netbook does not have a disk drive to install my copy of office 2003 on. I already spent 3 hours downloading OpenOffice and since Windows Live Mail is already downloaded on my machine that one of the reasons I asked about it first.

However thanks for that link about OutLook it may come in handy some day, or if I decide to spend another 3 hours downloading Outlook :)

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Most modern email clients have a setting where you have the option to keep mail on the server. Some have additional options, such as defining how long you want the messages to be kept.

Thunderbird, for example, has this setting:

leaveserver.png

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Ah that was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

7. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I just want to note that the one article you gave to me seems out dated due to the article having a different UI then the client on my W7

8. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One other option, although it would (in most cases) require a login which I think you said you were trying to avoid, is if your ISP (probably somewhere in their customer-service section or "My -----") offers webmail access to your POP mailbox(es), as mine does.

I rarely use that except when I'm having problems accessing the POP server, as when it's down for maintenance, and in the case of my ISP, viewing mail this way doesn't delete it from the server since it's not considered downloaded.

9. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Take a look at SpiceBird.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.