Email Address As Login ID

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by baumgrenze, Feb 13, 2015.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze Registered Member

I just gave up searching for confirmation of something I believe I recently heard on an NPR news program.

Is it true that using an email address as a login ID for an online account significantly the privacy of that account? How valuable is it to have a unique login ID for every 'account?'

If so, I'd appreciate some credible links to share with places where I do internet business of one kind or another. I don't want to rabble rouse needlessly or wastefully.

I'd love to hear some informed, expert opinions.

thanks

baumgrenze

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I have numerous online accounts as mirimir and all point to <mirimir@riseup.net>. That image to the left is my Gravatar. And the Keybase link in my sig links my public GnuPG key to a few accounts. I'd link it to my Wilders account if that were possible.

However, I have many other online pseudonyms. Some of them are somewhat associated with mirimir. A few pose as friends. But I don't use them for sockpuppet games, and none of them have Wilders accounts, as that is against Wilders' terms/rules.

Most of my other online pseudonyms are no more associated with mirimir than mirimir is associated with my true identity. They use different VMs, at times on different host machines, and use different nested chains of VPNs, JonDonym and Tor to reach the Internet. Also, just as importantly, they have distinct interests and styles. And most were temporary, and have been abandoned.

The point is compartmentalization :)

3. driekus

driekus Registered Member

Personally, I use a different email address for every site.
    My email provider neomailbox allows me to have infinite disposable email address through use of a separate subdomain. So for amazon you could set it up so login was amazon@mysubdomain.neomailbox.ch
    Very useful and achieves compartmentalization. In addition to mirimir's points I would also look at your browser and make sure you are protecting yourself. Personally I run Firefox with Self-Destructing Cookies, AdBlock Plus and No Script.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.