Email accounts very vulnerable?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Bellzemos, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bellzemos

Bellzemos Registered Member

Hello!

Today I stumbled on an article about how easy is to hack the Gmail (or Yahoo) email accounts. This made me scared for security so I googled it a bit it. And I'm not talking about keylogging or phishing. I found some sites which offer programs to do it (apparently all you need to enter into the program is the email address you wish to hack -> get it's password). Similar programs can be found on YouTube too. Has anyone tested any of those programs? Is this all ******** or are we all unsafe? Because if this is true and it really works (which I doubt it is) then Gmail (or any other email) accounts aren't safe at all!

Thank you!

2. guest

guest Guest

Mind to share the article?

Anyway, it isn't that easy to hack someone's account. Most common methods that I know are brute force and dictionary attack to blindly guess the user's password. If you have a complex password, you don't really need to worry.

Another way is to hack the email service provider itself, but this needs a neat cyber-criminal plan. Not as simple as you described.

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The thread starter is talking about fake programs that have been advertised on the Internet that supposedly will yield any gmail account's password, if you run the program and tell it what account you want access to. Of course, the most popular one requires you to enter your own gmail account address and password first. Then when you run the program, it responds with a message like "Error! Unable to get password." Meanwhile, your password has been sent to wherever the program's author decided to collect it. :ouch:

It's all fake, of course. If there was a program that could give anyone who runs it, anyone else's gmail password, obviously it would be long since known and discussed all over security sites until the email provider fixed whatever the hole was that allowed it to work.

As for links, please don't link to any site that provides such a tool. As they are mostly malware programs themselves, links to them would be inappropriate here.

4. guest

guest Guest

So it's all about social engineering again. Lol, just heard about such (fake) program. :D

5. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Even if it was real... Two Factor Authentication. Do you have a phone? Then you can have Google Authenticator.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.