elementaryos Luna

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by NormanF, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I installed elementaryos Luna. The unstable version is amazingly stable for beta software.

Mrkvonic reviewed the Jupiter version and since then things have been fixed. The new one is far from crippled and everything has been rewritten from the ground up to create a brand new Linux desktop environment.

The developers have developed a new desktop environment called Pantheon. It basically calls up a dash that is reminiscent of the Unity dash. This holds all your applications.

The dock at the bottom is now customizable. Applications can be dragged, like in MacOSX, from the Applications screen to the dock where they live. You can remove an application from the dock simply by removing it from the dock to the desktop.

This is the way an OS should be - simple, clean, easy to use and stable. I hope he gives the new version a spin. Me likes it.

2. NormanF

After some work, I got right click enabled beneath the desktop where the folders live. You work underneath the shell so to speak and this is a different way of working on the Linux desktop.

At least its not a disaster Metro is - and the dock is no longer thankfully locked down for the user. You can add and remove applications easily and Ubuntu menu indicators will work with the new Pantheon shell - its slick, elegant and very energy efficient as is the hidden combo Slingshot/dash launcher on the left hand side of the top menu, which you lets you launch a program - everything is named alphabetically and the inline search helps you find one one faster. Unlike in Unity, you don't have to launch a program first and then right click to add it to the running dock. Simply drag and drop - a welcome relief from the too many clicks syndrome.

The Docky developers created Plank for elementary OS - its customizable and you can drag applications to where you want on the dock and rearrange them to your liking. The wallpaper is simply stunning. There's a plethora of them and you can grab more if one doesn't fancy your mood.

Here are screenshots taken of it with the dark Our Starry Night wallpaper and with the active Applications slingshot launcher.

Its really elegant and simple. Not like how Microsoft forgot all about the basics!

Attached Files:

3. NormanF

The elementaryos Luna desktop doesn't have to be locked down!

The "locked down" attribute is entirely due to the Pantheon File Manager. I uninstalled it and replaced it with the GNOME Nautilus File Manager.

What happens? You get back a right click desktop and the ability to put icons on the desktop back and to remove them. And you can show Computer, Home and Trash on the desktop.

What I haven't figured out is how to make open change desktop background on right click open in Appearance in the Switchboard.

Apart from knowing where to end the right click file settings in Nautilus, the Pantheon Desktop now works just like any other Linux desktop!

Mrkvonic - if he ever comes around to reviewing the Luna beta won't have to wait for a plugin for Pantheon File Manager to be written to bring right click back to the Pantheon desktop. Simply replace it with a different file manager and you have a working desktop that is light, customizable and easy to use - just like with Macbuntu!

Now me really likes it even more!

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.