EKRN not showing in Task Manager.

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by mr_yoda, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_yoda

mr_yoda Registered Member

I have just installed the trial version of Eset Smart Security (3.0.684.0) on my parents PC and there are a number of issues which i'm not sure about. Firstly, the virus definition database is showing as 3553 and when I try to update the database it says that it doesn't need updating (even though it is an old definiation set).

Secondly, the process EKRN is not showing in task manager. When I open Smart Security is says that it is providinf 'Maximum Protection' and there are green ticks next to all the available modules (AV/AS, firewall and antispam).

Is this normal for a trial version or is there a problem with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It is installed on Vista 32 bit.

2. mr_yoda

I think i've solved the first problem about updating. I disabled Windows Defender and clicked in the update button in ESS and the program started updating (finishing with definition database 3815). So this is now up to date. The second problem relating to EKRN is still there. I forgot to mention that I have rebooted the PC just in case this was what was stopping it from working. There are no other security products installed, other than MalwareBytes which is used as an on-demand scanner.

I've included a screenshot here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1396318#post1396318

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  3. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

Hello mr_yoda,

It may be hidden by Vista. You can try a reinstall.

Thank you,
    Richard

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You don't need to reinstall. Just press "show processes from all users", it runs under SYSTEM.

Did you actually not see that button, it seems quite obvious.

5. mr_yoda

I've got no experience of Vista, i'm running XP on my own machine. The only time I use Vista is when I go to my parents. I'll speak to my mum and tell her to have a look (should be a very interesting phone call).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.