ekrn.exe High CPU Usage

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products Beta' started by michael83815, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gisuck

gisuck Registered Member

this made a HUGE difference... the computer doesn't choke on start up or waking up from sleeping. Thanks =)

2. Stealth111

Stealth111 Registered Member

I will tell you this for sure. I have it installed on my 2 systems (1 XP sp3 32 bit, 1 Win7 32bit) that I use every day, and I DO notice a problem. I am seeing ekrn.exe running at 35-50% on both systems, but HERE is what I am definitely seeing that is not right...The animated eye down by the clock is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS stuck at "Startup scan in process" even though I have NOT restarted the machine for over a week. I know that it does this scan after a signature update as well, but it seems to never STOP AT ALL EVER!!! It does not seem to hung on any particular file either. The last file scanned does change as I watch it in statistics window every now and then. It is on sessionstore.js (Mozilla Firefox) right now, but again that changes during system activity...

3. Donald?

Donald? Registered Member

Same problem here, I don't want my notebook setting fire, returning to good and stable 4.0 version. :thumb:

4. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I am getting the error message that ekrn.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. Currently running ESS Beta with DefenseWall and AntiLogger. Any ideas on a fix? This is on XP SP3. Thanks.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Take a look in the XP event Viewer and see if any apps are showing up as having a problem.

Attached Files:

6. JackSun

JackSun Registered Member

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and Eset smart security 4.2 Beta.

I installed the beta so that I could use the Anti Spam feature with Mozilla Thunderbird 3. This works fine but I have a problem with high CPU usage under certain circumstances.

I have setup a scheduled in depth scan for once a week at 03:00 am and I have ticked the box to wait for next scheduled time to scan if it misses one for any reason.

This worked fine for a few weeks but now it starts up a scan at random times. I often realise it is scanning as the PC performance drops noticeably. If I check Eset, it is running an in depth scan which I can stop, but this then leaves the ekern.exe using 50% of the CPU time. They only way I can get it back is to reboot the PC or terminate the eset process.

How can I stop the scan from running at unscheduled times and why doesn't it stop using CPU time once I have cancelled it.

N.B. None of my drives are setup to use Bitlocker.

7. TuutTuutTuut

TuutTuutTuut Registered Member

I've had a similar problem. This occured when using the regular 4.0 version. I had the problem that Windows (XP SP3) did not recognize ESS anymore. Windows claimed my computer was unprotected. I got the advise to delete the contents in the c:\windows\sytem32\wbem\repository\ folder. I first had to stop a service before deleting the files. Windows would rebuild the repository then after a reboot. It didn't and ekrn.exe would continuously use 25% (quad core)

At first I couldn't resolve that problem and considered reinstalling windws. In the end changing an environmental variable, a path statement, which had somehow gotten corrupted solved my problem. Luckily I didn't have to reinstall windows. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.