ekrn.exe at 99% CPU usage is Commodo Firewall Pro 3 the reason?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by enduser999, Nov 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

I would think you are correct but it might be worth jumping through the hoops to get a diagnosis from Eset.

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Or I could jump through one hoop and go back to v2.7.:)

3. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Damn, this has been happening to me these last couple of days.

XP Home
    Comodo V3 firewall
    NOD32 V3.0.563.0

Tried switching off all protection in NOD but that did nothing. I have to reboot to get it to calm down.

Attached Files:

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I sent an additional reply to Eset, saying how we had quite a few people at the forum who had the 100% so the problem must be in their software, and they replied saying they have a number of reports and I could go back to v2.7 or continue if I wish.

5. Phil_S

Phil_S Registered Member

Just had ekrn.exe at 100% CPU again for the third time since installing v3.0. I'm not running any software firewall and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it. The only way out when it happens seems to be to reboot.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I said this all through the beta. I could install the suite and it would work flawlessly. On reboot everything came to a crashing halt. Never could figure it out. I have 2- 2 user licences still active and would love to upgrade to the suite, but this is the reason I cant. Not that I dont wont to, I really like Eset, but I also think if you are using Vista this may be the issue and if so, Microsoft is the issue to.

7. Zarra

Zarra Registered Member

I had my first high ekrn.exe CPU usage last night on my Vista laptop and had to reboot to fix the problem. I had v3 installed on my computers since the day of release.

8. pepito

pepito Registered Member

Same happening here (99% CPU usage on ekrn.exe)

And not using any of those third party products either.

9. Nahaz

Nahaz Registered Member

If you have contacted ESET then I suggest you do send them the relevant logs they are asking for. It does help them to determine where and why things like this happen.

10. Joliet Jake

I've not had a repeat of this issue since the 28th.

11. doodek

doodek Registered Member

no reason why its happening, only one way is killing process

12. CrunchieBite

CrunchieBite Guest

Add me the the growing list of 99% CPU usage victims.

Eset Nod32 v3.0.566 Business rolled out to a number of clients using the same package and configuration. This morning, two client PCs decided that ekrn.exe needed some exercise and lit the CPU's up to 99%.

Neither machine is running any firewall other than the standard XP Pro SP-2 / Vista Business firewall and in both cases, the only option was to End Task the process. After the process was terminated, it automatically restarted with only 1 or 2% CPU usage.

Me thinks there is a bug in there somewhere! :doubt:

13. pyr0rrzzz

pyr0rrzzz Registered Member

Same problem here, guys.

I just tried to open a video file but nothing happened. Checking my task manager I noticed the high CPU usage of ekrn.exe... This sucks.
    I've upgraded to V3 a few days ago but didn't have any problems so far. Killing the process helped, though...
    Btw. I'm using CFP 2.4, too

14. The_Goon

The_Goon Registered Member

You can also add me to this, pc has been unresponsive, looked in proceses and ekrn.exe running at 99% cpu, went back to 2.7 since lunchtime and pc running fine. I also had Comodo new firewall and uninstalled that a couple of days ago went back to pc tools one after seeing this thread but pc was still unresponsive, but as i said gone back to 2.7 and now everything is ok, for now.

15. Banger696

Banger696 Registered Member

Me either since my re-install on the 27th but it seems lots of other people are getting it. I also haven't rebooted since then so who knows. :ninja:

16. qwer1304

qwer1304 Registered Member

Same thing here - ekrn.exe suddenly consumes 100% of CPU.

Configuration: Win32 XP Pro w/ latest patches.
    NOD32 BE v3.0.566.0 latest virus DB

Restarting or killing the process helps for a while.

ZA firewall or no firewall at all have no effect.

Disabling NOD32 doesn't lower the CPU.

Examining the handles with PE doesn't reveal anything special.

Bummer :( :thumbd:

17. Joliet Jake

Noticed whenever I access the advanced settings eken.exe uses 100% CPU for around 8 seconds.

18. jilo

jilo Registered Member

Hello,

I have the same problem with ekrn.exe at 99% :mad: And I have Comodo 3 too.
    I have put Eset products to signed safe list, but no change. Sometimes ekrn grows to 99% CPU, and I have to kill process two or three times to return to a normal usage.

I am wondering if the problem is not due to Web filter because it always comes when I am on the web with Firefox.

19. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

No problems here with erkern CPU usage using the Windows Firewall, CFP v3 or the new CFP V3 beta. I've ticked and unticked my web browsers, including Firefox and still haven't noticed anything.

20. jilo

jilo Registered Member

It's true that everyone associates Comodo with this problem, but i dont know if it's linked ... maybe it's only an Eset problem...

Personaly I didn't have any problem with NOD32 3 and Comodo 3 at the beggining. Maybe an update is in cause... I will send an email to Eset hotline.

21. Vettetech

Vettetech Former Poster

I am using OA with NOD32 3.0 and having no cpu issues. I know there are temp fixes for Comodo cpu using in there forums.

22. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

Well I also seen this behavior today on a XP system that has Sunbelt Personal firewall so my original post that started this thread, seems to indicate that the problem is not related to firewalls. This time I was deleting 4 4mb files from a directory and the system, AMD3500_ w 2GB memory and XP Pro, just hung until the files were deleted. The NOD version is 3.0.621.0.

23. piranha

piranha Registered Member

24. enduser999

I noticed that fix. However I never see svchost hogging the CPU only ekrn.exe this time during deletion or restoration of 3 4MB+ files.

25. enduser999

Has there been any updates on this problem? My laptop was in a deadly embrace which lasted about 5+mins until I eventually was able to restart XP. Ekrn.exe was using 99% of the cpu all this time!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.