eicar2.com is a Trojan?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by JVRudnick, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JVRudnick

JVRudnick Registered Member

Hello All...
    running FProt on my w2k3server, and it's found a file called eicar2.com in a Temp folder in my Local Settings folder.

now after quite a bit of research, I'm still at a loss. How do I determine if the file is the simple virus testing ascii file - or is it a trojan called Trivial?

so far, cant find that out....FProt has quarantined it, and even tho I throw it away time after time, it's reborn in that same folder...

anyone know or care to point me at a remover ?

Jim

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. JVRudnick

JVRudnick Registered Member

actually, no it's not. all of them do not "unzip" into a file named eicar2.com

anyone else?

Jim

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi,

The real eicar file sizes are these

eicar.com 68 Bytes

eicar.com.txt 68 Bytes

eicar_com.zip 184 Bytes

eicarcom2.zip 308 Bytes

As you say there is no official unpacked eicar2.com file, so it must be suspicious. Could you delete the folder as is and then recreate it after a reboot ? Failing that use a delete on boot utility to try and eliminate it and then recreate a replacement folder afterwards !

If your AV refuses to cooperate i might disable it completely in msconfig for the reboot operation, and then enable it again after the hopefully successful delete on boot has worked.

I would Physically unplug from the internet for the duration as a precaution.

StevieO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.