eicar test signature virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by frank47, Dec 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank47

frank47 Registered Member

Ran a security check ,that sent the eicar etc. Now when ever i run adaware it picks it up, and stops until i tell it what to do. which is okay if im at the computer.Can anyone tell me how to cure this?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you try deleting your TEMP files using the Disk Cleanup Wizard as described here:

Windows 98, Me, 2000, and XP come with a Disk Cleanup Wizard that streamlines the process of clearing out unwanted temp files. To access the Wizard, click on the Start button and choose Programs (All Programs in Windows XP). Then choose Accessories, System Tools, and Disk Cleanup. (A shortcut is to click on Start, choose Run, and type in cleanmgr.)

The wizard will give you the option of cleaning up all your hard drive partitions, if you have more than one. It will show you how much space is being consumed by unneeded temporary Internet files, as well as other temporary files, downloaded program files, and offline Web pages. This Disk Cleanup Helper will even empty the Recycle Bin for you. Just check the box in front of the item, click OK, and the wizard will clean up your disk. Get rid of at least the temporary Internet files and other temporary files. Remember that the files in the Recycle Bin take up hard drive space, so you may want to have the wizard empty your trash as well.

There is another method here:

http://personal-computer-tutor.com/...ngtempfiles.htm

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. frank47

Thanks blackspear,didnt help.Trying to remember what site i got that test at.Found it in one of the threads on this site.

4. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

It's not sitting in a system restore point is it?

5. frank47

Hey bigbuck could be. I wouldnt know how to tell. Just for further info found the site where i did the test. The caveat was we take no responsibilty if you cant
    remove it Talk to your av provider.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

frank47

What is the complete path to the eicar file?

If eicar is in system restore in XP, you will have to turn off system restore so that file will be deleted or it will keep coming back. The good news is, it is just a test file.

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Like Ron said...turn off sys restore....scan and fix.....then turn sys restore on again.
    Cheers,
    Buck.

8. frank47

Thanks guys . Can always depend on this site,to straighten me out.(cause I make alot of my own trouble).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.