eicar test file

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by markcc, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I have NOD32 current version installed. If I e-mail myself the eicar test file, NOD does not show it as a virus. The e-mail scanner is working because it shows the file has been scanned. The other anti virus programs I've used show as a virus as the e-mail is sent & received. Do I not have something set right?

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Which particular test file from this page did you attach to your e-mail ?

3. markcc

markcc Registered Member

The 68 character line about 1/2 down the page.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Did you actually attach the file? Couldn't it be that you merely copied its content to the email body?

5. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I copied the text string into Outlook & sent the e-mail to myself. No reaction from NOD. If I click on the eicar.com.txt file NOD picks up right away as a virus.

6. Marcos

Of course, antivirus programs should not react to that string only. It must be sent as an attachment, that's how all AV vendors agreed on:

Any anti-virus product that supports the EICAR test file should detect it in any file providing that the file starts with the following 68 characters, and is exactly 68 bytes long:
    X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

7. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Marcos, I guess I'm confused (Not unusual for me!) If I open Outlook & copy that string & send it to myself using Avast, Kaspersky or GData it flags it as a virus. It does not with NOD. Am I missing something here?

8. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I copied the string into the body of Outlook

9. wrathchild

wrathchild Registered Member

For example...if I copy-paste EICAR 68 characters in text editor and try to save as .txt file I have NOD32 warning...but when I copy-paste in the message body and try to send email then no warning at all and mail was sent (with other AV I've tried I can't send email)...btw I can't check if NOD32 detect it when receive because my ISP block that email.

10. Marcos

If you merely copy the string into the email body it won't be detected because only a file with that specific string that is exactly 68 bytes long is supposed to be detected per the eicar standard as all AV vendors have agreed on. If this condition is not fulfilled there's no reason to detect it. By simply copying the string into the email body you break this condition.

11. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Thank you for your answer

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.