egui.exe open file security warning vista

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by tacoma5050, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tacoma5050

tacoma5050 Registered Member

Eset has been working fine but all of a sudden now when I reboot vista on startup I get this mesasge window:

Open File Security Warning: Do you want to run this file: egui.exe
    I say yes and nothing happens and I dont see the eSet icon near my clock. Then If I start eSet manually, it comes up and works, but if I X it, then it is not near the clock either. This happens every time I reboot now.

I did a full uninstall using eSet's uninstaller from the start menu, then I reinstalled. Then it working OK for a while, but then the same issue came back!

I updated eSet and I ran a full eSet scan and no virus'. I also ran a malwarebytes scan and it was clean too.

I have no idea how to fix this or what is causing it...help!!

eSet ver = eSet NOD32 4.2.64 os = vista 32 sp2

2. tacoma5050

The only thing that has changed on my system is that I have been changing my display resolution, but I can't see how that would have anything to do with this issue.

3. tacoma5050

I notice on reboot, that when I am prompted if I want to run egui.exe, that if I say yes, the eSet splash screen shows briefly. Then there is no eSet icon in the system tray still. But if I look in taskmanager, I see the egui.exe running, but where is the icono_O

Now at this point if I run eSet from the start menu, I still get prompted DO I WANT TO RUN IT, and if I say yes, this time the gui comes up and is fully functional, but if I minimize or X it, it disappears and there is no icon in the system tray....arg!!!

4. TyeF

TyeF Former Eset Moderator

5. tacoma5050

Hi,

I have already tried this:
    The ESET icon has disappeared. How do I bring it back?
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN532
    I put egui in my start folder, all that did was when I boot up, then I get two OPEN FILE SECURITY warning windows, I say yes to both, eSet GUI will come up, but when I minimize it, it is no longer in the system tray. I should not have to get a OPEN FILE SEC warning everytime from putting egui in START folder, but I do.

No matter how I start egui I get the vista UAC warning window...argh!!

Also I uninstalled eSet via your instructions below and with the eSet uninstaller program from eSet. Then I reinstalled, no luck :-(

I cannot install v4.2.71 because at this time only 4.2.64.12 is available to me.

please help me as I have no idea how to fix this :-(

6. tony_m

tony_m Eset Staff Account

Hi tacoma5050,

Yes, all symptoms point to a faulty installation.

How is that you can only have access to version 4.2.64?

Did you try turning UAC off? Does it make any difference?

Another option is to open a ticket with the support deparment in your country, including a SysInspector log and a link to this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.