EeePC: BSODs, apparently sluggish RAM?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Gullible Jones, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't been having any problems with Linux on my EeePC, but Windows XP is slow and keeps getting random BSODs, with the crash occuring in ntsokrnl.exe. Did some Googling, found a lot of reports of bad RAM causing this issue, decided to run Memtest86+.

And straight away, something odd: the 1 GB RAM stick in the Eee should be DDR 533, but Memtest reports it as DDR444.

Am I looking at possible RAM issues? Or a bug in Memtest? It seems weird to me BTW that Linux works fine and Windows doesn't, usually Linux is that one that's the canary in my experience.

2. Well...

a) It's not the RAM, the crash was reproducible with a known good module.

b) The old RAM module was fine - the new one also registered as DDR444, presumably due to (undocumented?) limitations of the netbook.

Also I've figured out how to reproduce the crash. It seems to involve writes to the hard disk. As more data is written to the C: partition, the system gets slower and slower, until it eventually throws a BSOD. Attempting a large download (e.g. OpenOffice) will crash it within a minute or so.

Also, I will note that the crashes did not show up until I installed Oracle JDK 7... Bizarre.

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Broken Hard Drive?

4. Nope. Reimaged with Linux, works fine now (and no I/O errors in dmesg). Will be sticking with Linux on this machine for the foreseeable future, I think.

I suspect some kind of bug with the Asus ACPI drivers, or something, but I'm really not sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.