Edge, 2 months and your thoughts.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Thanks Mike, i got the idea. I was once running PrevX 1, but i barely remember it now. ( i remember i pointed star in the gui, nothing else).

2. Someone

Someone Registered Member

What technologies does Prevx have when a computer is offline?

Thanks

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I know Mamutu and DriveSentry simply use the community to vote but I thought Threatfire's community database worked in a similar way to Prevx?

Thanks

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Greetings! I currently use Vipre as my A/V,has anybody experienced compatability issues between Vipre's Active Protection, and Edge 3.0 Behavior Protection. Sincerely...Securon

5. GreenWhite

GreenWhite Registered Member

Ah...., that´s Prevx Home offered as a temporary freeware and it looked like Kal-El´s ship from Krypton.

6. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Amazing! Screenshot please :D

7. Fuzzfas

8. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Edge will block against variants of known malware (known malware to your system) and it will prevent malware trying to write its self to the master boot record but Edge is primarily designed to scan online.

However, if you look at it in the opposite light, an antivirus product would be completely ineffective against blocking a threat which came out 10 minutes ago if you last updated 15 minutes ago :) With threats coming out in such higher frequency than when they used to, you essentially NEED to be connected to the internet to block new threats.

9. PrevxHelp

10. Fuzzfas

No kidding! :D (Your new gui is very pretty in deed).

11. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

yes, i just realised that myself when looking up the removal tool. Gromozon Rootkit is highly different from the gromozon i tested against. please accept my apology for being a dumba$$ :oops: :oops:

another question: does Edge protect against swf and pdf exploits? thanks again Joe.

Mike

12. PrevxHelp

No problem :) Edge does protect against swf and pdf exploits, but we're working on a more generic solution for them which will tie more directly into the browser that should protect better against future exploits similar to swf/pdf (without using any signature identification of them :D)

13. Fantasio

Fantasio Registered Member

Hello, :)

Having recently found about PrevxEdge, I downloaded the trial version to scan my computer for threats that my current A/V, Eset NOD32 AV, would have missed - since this is one of Prevx's key selling points.

The scan yielded a negative report, claiming that my computer is clean. Based on this sheer first hand comparison, I could easily conclude that NOD32 did not miss anything and effectively protected my computer.

Prior to installing Edge, I also installed the free version of A-Squared and ran a full system scan. Their engine and their latest definitions files revealed quite a few malware programs hidden in certain files that NOD32 failed to spot.

Admittedly, those malware programs were not active in the memory as I never launched the executable files where their are hidden. So, the report yielded by Edge is in accordance with its peers' reports.

I tried to run a full scan of my system using Edge but could not as the editor crippled the full scan function on their trialware - the "deep" scan yielded a negative report as well but probably did not go deep enough.

I found the feature restriction pretty counter-productive as my conclusion is that Edge does not fare better than my current anti-virus, even though it missed several files containing malware. I do not know if A-Squarred is better than Edge in the end, but contrary to Prevx, EmsiSoft understands that a piece of trialware should enable potential customers to experience the full power of their products.

14. PrevxHelp

Hello,
    Every product misses things (and every product finds different things) - I'd imagine that if the files were actually threatening to your system (active or possibly going to be active, etc.) Edge would have found them and I'd wager that NOD32 may have found them as well.

If you still have a copy of these files, could you please send them to me? It's possible that A2 had a FP or that the files aren't truly malicious at all.

The fact is that if a file is inactive in your system and has no way of automatically becoming active, it is no more threatening than an overly-hyped-about, generally F.U.D-inducing "tracking cookie" and "tracking cookies" are really not a threat at all :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

A couple of things come to mind here. It always befuddles me how we all just assume that when something is detected, it is malware and our previous AV must have been no good.

Case in point. I downloaded a AV that is currently hot in the news here after running a full scan with Avira. To my astoundment it found "MALWARE" that Avira didnt. On closer exam, right before I hit the delete key because it did say it was probaly a trojan, I noticed it was the exe file to K9 Parental Web Control I use.

So, just because your AV doesnt find something, doesnt mean you are not infected. Just because another one doesnt, ditto. You would have to literally use all of them on the market just to get to 99.9 percent to be sure.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

As stated earlier, I am still sold on it after 2 months and still think it is the new wave of protection coming. I still think traditional AVs are dead, but not the vendors, but some changes are going to be required. Edge has come a long way in 2 months, be interesting to see where it is a year from now.

Hopefully, not like other Prevx products. :doubt:

17. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Joe,
    Any time scale on when we might see this materialise?
    Also, while I realise that some developments Prevx are working on you would wish to keep under wraps until they are ready or nearly to be released, would it be possible / feasible to have a public 'list' of the eventual 'components' of the Prevx vision so that we know what we have to look forward to ;)
    I have a particular interest in the sandboxing and virtualisation angle of security, does Prevx have any plans in those areas?

18. PrevxHelp

We have some more advanced plans for sandboxing in the books, as well as more advanced exploit protection and a long list of other improvements however we're keeping it very close and not divulging information publicly on them until they're completely ready and nearly out the door. We prefer to keep it this way to give ourselves time to thoroughly test our technologies and ensure they are interoperable with others :)

I know it's not the greatest way to generate "publicity" for these features, however, this tends to be how we operate. For instance, we did not leak any information on the name Edge literally until it was released :D

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, I can vouch for that.:blink:

20. horseman

horseman Registered Member

Well at least up to right on the "edge" of an public release..... ;)

21. GreenWhite

Prevx, pls have a clear direction. Since day 1, you have never stop changing your products, luring your users to engage in the journey of false promises. Home-Pro-Prevx 1-Prevx 2-CSI, and now-Edge, - ?future? sandboxing.

And in every product (sadly, always buggy), you have loyal users ( lucky you ) thinking that - well, its a new product, things will only get better until all of a sudden you whip up an entirely new product and put most of your resources into it, and here we go again.... I hardly hear anyone talk about CSI anymore. I guess it will go into a cryogenic state soon.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

A clear direction. Hmm, even I dont have one in my life. No one can argue your views but when you say direction, how far out are you looking. Because the field of malware and providing security changes very fast. CSI isnt dead. Prevx has admitted, actually at the start, they dropped the ball on development with Prevx I, which is also one of the 12 that detected the Paris Hilton rootkit yesterday,:argh: err, but I will agree with you that some of us have saddled up to ride her again, but yes, if I get thrown off, I aint getting back on.

I really think this product has the ability to develop into something very special.

23. PrevxHelp

Well, if you've ever used Edge, you would quickly notice it is exactly the same as CSI :D It is 100% of the same code, just using a different license so every word spoken about Edge is spoken about CSI ;) (and I beg to differ about "hardly" anyone talking about CSI - forum activity is a very inaccurate measure of a program's popularity as we have literally millions of active CSI users).

Our products have continually changed from day 1 because infections have continually changed from day 1. Many other products have remained static but we choose not to.

Prevx2 was a major step up from our previous products and Edge is a major step up from Prevx2 - such an important step up that we offer a completely free upgrade to it from Prevx2: http://info.prevx.com/licenseswap.asp.

We are very committed to Edge and will be continuing its development for many years to come. The main engine behind Edge is very solid and with this next update due out in a few weeks, it will be even more reliable than ever (with a vastly increased OS compatibility scope - including, yes, (officially announcing it now) - full 64bit and Windows 7 protection :D).

No one can say what the future will bring for any company but we are adamantly working on improving our products and our public perception. Back in the Prevx Home/Prevx 1 days, we had a completely different outlook on security. Then with Prevx 2 we changed slightly to make it more user friendly but now we have conclusively decided on our model with Edge and are pushing forward, full force, to keep improving it on all levels. This next update, for instance, includes a 60-70% reduction in RAM usage and a significant boost in computer performance.

We're hardly sitting idle :)

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Congrats on the 64 bit. I know that is going to make quite a few here happy.:thumb:

Ok. BG, ok to use "Quite a few here" now.;)

25. GreenWhite

He he.. very soon, trjam. Just wait and see. They are still talking about Prevx 3 since god knows when, but hey, where is it ?

Maybe the sandbox one will be the successor. Then lo and behold, mass migration, following that you do the terraforming, and they live there a couple of days, and before you know it, they already left the planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.