Echo Enterprise Universal Restore to VM

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MHRx, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

I am trying to restore images from Echo using Universal Restore to a VM environment and keep getting the dreadded BSOD (boot device issues) when the VM boots following the restore. I have tried both BusLogic and LSI SCSI as an option in VM and even injected the downloaded BusLogic scsi drivers from VM, all without luck. Is there some trick I am missing to complete this successfully? (I'd prefer not to use the Acronis native conversion to VMDK as it creates a VM disk the size of the original hardware (including all empty space), fyi, which is why I am attempting the restore in this fashion.)

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

2. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

No one has done a restore of Echo into a VM? Please, throw me a bone! :)

3. xkravenx

xkravenx Registered Member

Instead of trying to use Universal Restore to a VM why not use the Convert feature from TrueImage?

I have used the GUI version of TrueImage with UR and pointed at the VM Drivers and it worked. I have not been able to use the Command Line to work though.

Another option is to use Vmware Converter to Convert a TIB file to a VM.

4. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

The reason we wanted to avoid the converter was to prevent the VM disk size of being the full size of the original server drives (ie - it would be 250 gig even though the data is only 20 and we would have otherwise put it on a 35gb vm disk). What drivers did you point UR to if you don't mind me asking and which SCSI controller were you using? I tried to use the Buslogic drivers from VM themselves but it also failed.

5. xkravenx

xkravenx Registered Member

I added the Vmware SCSI drivers and the LSI Logic Drivers and whatever mass storage driver I found on my drivers folder.

I think you have a diffrent problem. Your source disk is 250GB? and your target disk is 50GB... Though you only use 10GB of used space. I think you can only image from a smaller image to a larger image. I am not 100% sure of this..

6. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

Acronis hold the drivers itself under

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Universal Restore\Driverspack etc...

these will work!

7. MHRx

MHRx Registered Member

I will give those a shot, thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.