EBay Reports Attempt to Sell Women on Web

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Smokey, Mar 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Online marketplace eBay Inc. on Friday said it had removed from its Web site a listing that offered three young Vietnamese women for auction and will report the person who posted it to local authorities.

The listing, which said the women were for shipment only to Taiwan, "was an egregious violation of not only eBay policies but also the law," eBay spokesman Hani Durzy told Reuters.

"It was pulled as soon as we were aware of it. Anything illegal is against our policies. There is absolutely no room for human trafficking" on the site, said Durzy.

EBay also has suspended the poster, who originally listed the women for auction on eBay Taiwan, he said.

Durzy said he was not certain of the dates the posting appeared on eBay, which is a popular venue for bidding on and shopping for myriad items -- from cars to collectibles.

A screenshot of the listing provided by the National Congress of Vietnamese Americans showed that it was first posted on March 2.

Hung Nguyen, the group's president, said advocacy groups wrote to eBay demanding that the item be pulled down when it came to their attention on March 5.

Such activities "really concern us," said Nguyen, who commended eBay for its quick response.

EBay, along with its community of users, keeps a constant watch on listings and reports cases of illegal activities to law enforcement.

The State Department has said Taiwan is a source, transit and destination point for people trafficked for sexual exploitation and forced labor. Victims often are trafficked to Taiwan from China, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia and the Philippines.

Source: Reuters, Los Angeles

My personal view: I'm very angry and very sad that there are always people (first I would say "pigs" but pigs are decent animals) who try to earn their dirty money in such a dirty way. Sorry, but I have no other words for such behaviour.

Smokey

2. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:eek: WELL ITS GOOD THEY GOT THE AD OFF BUT AT THE COST OF THREE HUEMAN LIVES WAS IT WORTH IT?

E-bay should had worked with the authoritys to try to purchase these woman as a sting to save the womans lives and put a end to the flesh traficker.

from a criminals stand point if i was cancled and i new the gov was hot on my trail id have to get rid of the evidence and guess what that is.

thats what happens when people dont think about the far out look on there actions.

im perty sure those poor women are dead by now and the guy is keeping low only to resurface algain later.

i know this is horriable to say but i think they should had thought things threw befor acting on them

lets face it the guys goten alway and the ladys are either sold or dead

sometimes i wonder if we in the usa dont make things worst by trying to police the whole world in our image.

i love my country but its not perfect and theres more evill here then in most places there just smarter at it

should we always envolve our selfs in others people buisnesss?

i know canada dont like most of us dowen here but there more polite about it.

i hate to know what other places think of us.

i know mexico where my family is from woman can be bought and sold

the difrence is the woman there want to be sold.

its a poor country so all they want is food and to be taken care of they dont care who buys them as long as they have a place to go its sad but true

mainly the small villiges are like that

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

This is beyond words without any doubt.

That said: we will not allow this thread turning into a political one - no offense intended.

regards.

paul

4. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

I am so saddened by this. There is really nothing more I can say with out embarrassing myself. (ie colorful adjectives)

5. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

Yeah its perty bad out there we have same problems here in the usa with drugs and underage girls doing stuff for drugs

yup it can be a harsh world and at the same time it can be beautiful today i saw a deer

i was but a few feet alway stareing into his eyes

have to say i was touched

kinda like there still can be beauty in a world of chaoss

6. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

Mr.Blaze

So Glad you turned this thread around. :) We live in rural NC (we have a mile long driveway) So we have a lot of wild life in our yard. We can look out the windows in the afternoon and evening and see deer so close it's like you can touch them. We have an opossum that comes up on the back deck to eat. LOL It is a cool place we live in. Thanks again for changing the direction of this thread. ;) (check your cookie jar ;))

7. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

Sometimes you can't see the beauty, if it weren't for the ugliness. Sometimes you can't see the good, if it weren't for the bad.

The lesson is that there's lots of the ugly and bad. We need to realize that there is beauty and good. When we realize that, then we can start making the changes in those things that would otherwise stay ugly and bad.

And I'm not just talking about a superficial state!

8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Good words, Dave!

You get a Karma Cookie for that.... ;)

Ciao,

Smokey

Attached Files:

9. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

DMo224

I couldn't agree more. Please don't misunderstand my post and think I was in any way trying to diminish the severity of the subject matter in this thread. In actually quite the opposite is true. I was simply appreciating someone else's ability to not be over come by the ugliness of what one human can do to another. Please excuse me if there has been any confusion.

10. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

I don't think anyone would think that you were trying to lesses the ugliness of the subject matter.

Aind I definitely appreciate that one can still bring out beauty in the midst of all the ugly. A fallacy of mine is sometimes to get "hung up" on the ugly and the bad.

I do wish we could ALWAYS turn the ugly into the beautiful, but alas as long as their are humans involved, we'll still have the former. Don't give up hope!

[move]DOn't quIT!!![/move]

11. DMo224

DMo224 Registered Member

Sorry for double post. :( You know how the noobs can be...........creating work for the mods!

12. P.T.

P.T. Registered Member

Completely understandable. There certainly is plenty of it. My favorite saying left over from the 60's

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s22/smilies-44360.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.