EAZ-fix/Rollback RX and disk imaging

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wilbertnl, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Interesting. Almost looks like they've done a good upgrade and are planning on selling it. Raw option is in IFD, although I had to go back to the manual to find it. If I am right about the size of the resulting file, I don't have a tar get drive big enough.:D

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OMG. You found an image backup software, that works with RollbackRx, without needing HDS-Clone or EAZ-Clone.
    OMG. You found an image backup software, that backups and restores ALL RB-snapshots and not just the current snapshot OR baseline snapshot and without losing all other 29,999 or 59,999 snapshots.

Incursari, you are the man in this thread.
    Nice work !!! I write that down for the future : RollbackRx works with Paragon Drive Backup.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Hello Atomas,

AyGhost creates images of NTFS partitions, but needs FAT32 as destination for the image file.
    At first I was disappointed with this limit, but since eazClone is offered for free by Intelatronix, I decided to give it a try and I created a 4 GB FAT32 partition just for the images. No big issue for me.
    The difference with HDS software is the different reseller, but I assume that ayGhost is a later release.

Yes, external disks (like eSATA) and USB 2.0 are supported.

4. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Thanks wilbertnl for your answers... I am also happy to know that external disk and USB 2.0 are supported but deceived to know that the destination of the image file needs FAT32! Is there a reason why the destination must be in FAT 32, I tought that FAT32 disappeared with XP...

Do you know if they are gonna solved that issue and make the image destination possible on a NTFS system? Personnally, I consider that like a major bug.

Thanks,
    Atomas31

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

ayGhost is a cloning software not imaging?
    Am I write?

6. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Hello Wilbert,

Tried out AYGhost to-day and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Using EAZ_Clone my times:
    Backup 6 minutes.
    Verify 2 minutes.
    Restore 26 minutes.

Using AYGhost my times:
    Backup 5 minutes.
    Verify 1 minute.
    Restore 26 minutes.

Using EAZ-Clone and AYGhost, in both cases after the restore was finished Windows found new hardware, and required an additional reboot.

Restore worked fine in both cases, and all snapshots shown correctly.

When starting the new version AYGhost, there is a little box in the bottom right hand corner with a small advert for EAZ-FIX and stating that "20 seconds to restore system" Took slightly longer in my case:)

John.

7. wilbertnl

@Atomas
    ayGhost is a DOS program, and I guess the developers didn't yet learn the tricks of Image for DOS (that is able to write to NTFS).
    FAT16 and FAT32 are supported by Windows XP, you are able to read and write floppies, are you not?
    And you are able to create a dual boot system together with DOS/Windows 98, etc.
    @Aigle
    ayGhost create images and restores from images. It can also do disk to disk cloning.
    @Kapiti
    I suspect that SATA has something different that is not supported by the UDMA driver.
    On the other hand I don't understand why restoring takes so much longer than creating the image on your system. That makes me curious, since on my system restoring takes less time than creating an image. Your creation times seem reasonable to me.
    The image you used for the test does not contain information about the later added FAT32 partition, and when Windows detects the change it results in the warning. When you create a new image with the FAT32 information, it won't happen.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  8. wilbertnl

Just to make sure that I understand you right: you did boot from the ayGhost CD? (and ignored the 2-DVD issue)

9. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Yes, I am able to read and write floppies (if you mean diskettes).
    Concerning the part where you are saying "you are able to create a dual boot system together with DOS/Windows" I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry! I am missing some knowledge here...

Thanks,
    Atomas31

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

EAZ_Clone AND ayGhost are same or different. Also, can u use ayGhost with RollBackRx? Any violation of EULA etc?
    Thanks.

11. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Procedure taken:

1. Booted with a floppy boot disk at the subsystem console.
    2. Ran Autorun.bat from the AYGhost CD.
    3. Backup - Verify - Restore all completed using the CD.

You said;
    The image you used for the test does not contain information about the later added FAT32 partition, and when Windows detects the change it results in the warning. When you create a new image with the FAT32 information, it won't happen.

Having another "I'm thick days" but I don't understand this. Are you saying that the next backup I do using AYGhost won't have this problem on the next restore?

John.

12. wilbertnl

John, please boot from the ayGhost CD, the performance improvement is in the boot procedure and not in the ayGhost.exe program.
    Just ignore your double DVD problem and run eazClone from C:.
    When you make a new image today, it will contain the current filesystem information and include the FAT32 driver.
    And when you restore from today's new image, you won't see the 'new hardware notification'.

13. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Hello Wilbert,

Used the AYGhost CD to boot and came up with this error message;

XDMA v 3.3 2-15-2006 overlap enabled.
    UltraDMA controller at I-O address F000H, chip I.D. 10de0053h.
    Hardware-only disk scan;
    Primary Master Disk is not UltraDMA.
    Primary Slave Disk is not UltraDMA.
    No disk to use; XDMA not loaded.

Then goes on to the "following files missing or corrupted A:\Windows\IFSHLP.sys".

The last line is the old error message received due to two DVD drives installed.

Okay, that seems to explain why there is no improvement in restoration speed, and I can only assume it's the SATA drive I have installed causing the error message, please feel free to correct me.

John.

14. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Thanks Wilbert, Thought that was the meaning of your message:)

John

15. wilbertnl

Apparantly there is no UDMA with SATA.

Still, I don't understand the timings. Why is the restore more than four times slower, I wonder?
    Your backup time seems reasonable.

16. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Backup and verify speeds are much the same as in TrueImage. Remember, Wilbert, getting AYGhost to work faster is not a life and death thing for me, if the programme can't work to it's fullest ability with SATA drives it's no big deal, at least for me.
    However, I would like to have the speed improvement if possible:) I'm enjoying the play around, plus I know I have another backup avenue to fall back on if TrueImage does take a wobbly with EAZ-FIX.

John.

17. wilbertnl

John,

When I first tested eazClone on my system, it was way slower than TrueImage, that motivated me to seek improvement.
    But since you mention that your timings are pretty much equal to TrueImage, I think that you won't gain much improvement.
    The advantage of eazClone/ayGhost is that it is certified to support eazFix/Rollback RX.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi wilbertnl is it free? I could not find any info about price on website?( I assume eazClone and ayGhsot are two names for one software?)
    Thanks.

19. wilbertnl

20. Peter2150

Is the image size, based on the amount of data or the size of the hard disk?

Pete

21. wilbertnl

I have a 120 GB primary disk, I create an image of the whole disk as opposed to just the first partition.
    ayGhost reports close to 3 GB of system data and the compressed image is 1.2 GB in size.
    Creating an image takes 5 minutes, restoring takes less than 3 minutes.

Another system has a 80 GB primary partition. System data is a little bit more. The resulting image file size is almost the same.

22. Peter2150

Thats consistent with what I'd expect, but is that doing a sector backup. If so it suggests the AYGhost can detect what sectors EAZ-FIX is using and that's great.

ATI's manual says it also has a sector backup, but it simply takes every sector on the drive, with no compression. I'd be out of luck, as I have nothing I could store a 500GB image on.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi wilbertnl , thanks for the info.
    BTW, i downloaded ayGhost from here,

http://www.k62.net/Products_ay.php

Made a bootable CD and bootef from it on a test laptop.
    This alptop has partition c NTFS covered by RollbackRx( few snapshots) and three more partitions, NTFS and FAT 32.
    On booting I got some error meassages( not remember exactly now but seem to just like posted by Kapiti. Anyhow I tried to make an imagre of C partition and saved it to partition D that was FAT32. I verified the image and then exit from ayGhost. After booting into windows once, I reboot into ayGhost and tried to restore but this time ayGhost failed to recognize my FAT32 partition containing the image. It recognize it but details are unknown, so no way to even restore or even re-verify the image.
    I tried it second time with the image saved in E partition( also FAT32) with almost similar results.
    Don,t know where I am missing something.

24. wilbertnl

Aigle,
    So, you are able to create images and save them on both FAT32 partitions, but when you reboot and try to restore from the images, it can't find the partitions?
    hm... I wonder if DOS has difficulties with the partition table, maybe the FAT32 partitions are primary and defined behind the extended partition with logical NTFS partitions.
    I can only guess...

Edit: I remember that DOS has trouble with more than one FAT32 primary partition on the same disk...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2006
  25. wilbertnl

It looks like ayGhost/eazClone knows where to find the hidden snapshot bookkeeping.
    Concerning ATI, this is what I understand: it would only do a sector-by-sector imaging when the NTFS filesystem is defect, or when the partition has a unknown filesystem. You can't do this by choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.