EAZ-FIX/Rollback RX - amazing!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by wilbertnl, Aug 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I have been using Firstdefense-ISR for a few months now, and for no good reason :) I installed Rollback RX after a fresh Windows installation. I'm delighted by the concept of snapshots, which has way more possibilities than FD-ISR.

Here is what I started today:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/rollback-rx1.png

This is just a sample for test purpose, as you can see I installed 2 different antivirus programs and 3 different MS Money versions.
    Great for (beta-)testing purpose.
    I like the tree structure, which shows the layers of snapshots.

But when I want to switch to another snapshot, I'm afraid that it will be more difficult to recognize the right snapshot to select:

http://www.geocities.com/wilbertnl/images/rollback-rx2.png

Like I said, I installed this today, and I'm excited about the 'unlimited options'.

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Wilbertnl

Proceed with caution. Many of us were excited early on. But then Rollback let us down, and failed with corrupt snapshots. You might search for some of the long threads about FDISR and Rollback.

Pete

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

I'm aware of that, Peter, thank you.
    I have all data on a different internal harddisk and second computer. In the worst case I only loose time. (on the other hand I don't want to miss this joy because of fear).
    But the Acronis forums are overflowing of problems too, and I never had problems since release 6.

Yes, I need to do some research and reading. :thumb:

4. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I was also amazed by Rollback Rx in the beginning and did buy it. As you´ll see in this forum that I had som problems (after two months) that made me lose confidence in Rollback and revert back to FDISR. But thats just me, and they might have fixed the problems with later versions. There are many users who have had no problems. It is a fact with every software, they cant make them compatible with every computer configuration in the world. Hopefully you have better luck. Just enjoy it :)
    I agree that Rollback has a interresting and nice approach. It is very easy to manage. You just gotta love the speed of making snapshots.
    I will try it again later.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I choosed FDISR and paid for it, so I'm not really interested in using another rollback software, even when it's a better one.
    There always will be a better one in the future due to competition.
    I've spent enough time on testing ATI, FDISR and the combination ATI & FDISR and I don't want to go through this again.
    And last but not least, the development of FDISR isn't finished either.
    A faster car doesn't change the car and I still have to hear the real advantages of EAZ-FIX or ROLLBACKRX, except speed and space.

I'm going to enjoy ATI and FDISR for a few years and keep an eye on the development of others.

6. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I have been using powerquest secondchance rollback programme for over 6 years on 98se.They are not new.Be aware though that some of them do not backup everything ,only certain files,systemfiles and folders,and it is possible to still mess your computer up...i know ive done it ;).You will need to check documentation.An external hard drive to compliment it would be the safest bet.
    ellison

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I bought RollBackRx and my next pyrchase will be FDISR, due to stability issues with RollbackRx, also no go for RollbackRx and Terbyte together.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

RollbackRx does backup each and every bit of files.

9. ellison64

Thnaks for the heads up.I thought id check it out myself as it runs on 98 too and downloaded a trial pro version.Seems ok.One thing though.I deleted stuff in recycle bin ,and tried a restore ,which it accomplished with no problems. I expected it though to show me what was restored though (possibly because i use secondchance).Although it restored i t didnt really show me what the changes were.Is there a setting in there somewhere that ive missed to auto show me the changes that the restore has done,also with the ability to retrieve them again if i wish?.Secondchance does this by colour coding folders/files etc in the tree view and visually shows where the changes are and what they are.I wanted to try norton goback to ,but with it being "dead" (as is secondchance) i cant find a copy anywhere.Anyone know where there may be a trial download?
    tia
    ellison?

10. ErikAlbert

FirstDefense-ISR
    http://www.raxco.com/products/fdisr/

RollbackRx
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/172151.ihtml

EAZ-FIX
    http://www.eazsolution.com/download.php

My recommendation is still FirstDefense-ISR.

11. ellison64

Thanks for recommendations.Unfortuantley first defence (according to specs) is not for 98se systems.That EAZ-fix looks remarkably like the one ive just been trying ...rollback.Ive only been tryin this rollback for an hour or two,but my gut feeling is that i prefer to stay with secondchance (even though it doesnt back everything up).I have "broken" it once in 6 years so that isnt bad going really.I really want to try norton goback which was around at the same time but apparently backed everything up (though i have read it was a little cpu intensive at times).Are there any ex users/users of this software that can give me any insight to it?
    tia
    ellison

12. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

If you only need one snapshot to fall back on, there is software like BackOnTrack. Their stance is you take a snapshot before installing new software - if it goofs up, restore, but after say two days of testing that program and you find it works, you take another snapshot.

I don't think this approach is beneficial for those who wish to beta-test products and retain other configurations at same time, like you can with FD-ISR, and to an extent, Rollback Rx.

13. ErikAlbert

BackOnTrack works only under winXP. Of course having an old OS like win98SE limits your choices. I also worked a long time with win95, after that win2000pro and now winXPproSP2 for the next 5 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.