Eaz-Fix and shadow Protect

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Long View, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Has anyone successfully used Eaz-fix and shadow protect together ?
    I have vague memories of this type of software being able to be used but when imaged all but one of the "restores" gets lost - is this correct ?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I am using with no trouble Rollback Rx and Shadow Protect together
    Restoring an image made with SP without a Free space backup, give you latest snapshot as baseline in Rollback RX (ATI restore the system to baseline state !!!!:blink: )

Regards,

MaB

3. Long View

Just so I understand - you use Rollback Rx and on say a daily basis can move to different snapshots. you can use SP or Acronis to make an image BUT if you restore the image you get the latest ( last) snapshot with SP and the baseline snapshot with Acronis ? strange. Ina any event it looks like you are no worse off then using SP without Rollback Rx and have some extra options using it.

Thanks

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Long View,

Although I use Drive Snapshot with RB, last year I evaluated using ShadowProtect with RB and it worked very well indeed with my laptop (WinXP). I found that it worked just as well as DS for backing up and recovering the system partition (of my laptop). However, strangely enough, SP's Recovery CD could not see the hard drive on our family PC. While I'm pretty sure I could have gotten around this by manually loading the missing drivers, I didn't pursue it any further.

Here is the way image backup programs seem to work with RB (EF). If you make an image backup from within Windows, you will only capture RB's current snapshot. If you make a Standard image backup after booting up with a Recovery CD you will only capture RB's baseline snapshot. If you make an All-Sectors (Sector-by-Sector, Maintenance Mode) after booting up with a Recovery CD you will capture all RB snapshots.

Hth,
    JA

PS. There is a potential problem backing up RB (EF) from within Windows. There is a chance that when you restore the image you will find that the MBR is corrupted and if so you will have to repair it by running FIXMBR from Windows Recovery Console. Also, when restoring a Standard image backup, you will likely find that RB (EF) is no longer installed (properly) and will require reinstallation.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Jo Ann

When this happened were you using ShadowProtect, or another program that images and restores the mbr?

Pete

6. Long View

Thanks - this is getting interesting. Firstly I only use the SP CD to make and restore. Second I have been playing with whole disk encryption - which requires sector-by-sector - as no program can read an encrypted drive. The need to use sector by sector also gave me a good excuse to buy a small 30 gb Solid State Drive. To be able to image and restore all snapshots would be my ideal.

7. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi Pete,

That did not happen with SP because when evaluating it I only used SP's Recovery CD using the All-Sectors option ...i.e., I never attempted to use SP to backup C: (with RB) from within Windows.

Early on, I experienced that problem with both ATI and DS after backing up C: (with RB) from within Windows, even though the MBR was restored with the image. As an RB user I typically backup after booting into an 'external' OS. That way I have never had any such issue.

JA

8. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So Jo Ann, you, Aaron and a few others really seem to be on top of this backup/restore game, especially relative to the IR applications. Am I naive to think that the imaging option (Easy Image) in the current version of EAZ-FIX Professional and in AyGhost would provide the ideal and most compatible means to both image and instant restore?

9. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Hi ratchet,

I am using the final build of RB v7.21 which does not do imaging. After reading that the imaging function in RB v8 captured but one RB snapshot, I decided rather than upgrade I would add a 3rd party imaging program that would allow me to backup all of my RB snapshots. I don't really know if v8.1 has enhanced that imaging functionality, but regardless I'm content with my setup.

While I have discussed the different aspects of imaging with RB (based on my experiences), the most important message I would like to convey is that disk-imaging is imperative and should be a regular routine!

JA

10. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i will recommended using RB self backup (build-in) option.
    it of course will backup only the current snapshot u are on , BUT it will remove any trace on RB software from the backup (which is unique) after restore.
    SP and DS backup will contain a left over files/services of EF or RB after restore there images

cheers

11. Long View

I have just read that Eaz-fix and RB should not be used with 3rd party defrag programs. I remember that this was a problem with FD-ISR. With FD-ISR you could actually run the defrag but, of course, the final result could only be correct for any one snapshot at a time. From the FAQ's it looks like these 2 programs now have their own Defrag to address the issue. I assume that users are happy with this solution or is it just that the benefits of snapshots outweigh the inability to use a 3rd party solution ?

12. Peter2150

Hi Longview

Not quite correct about FDISR. I only defrag in the primary snapshot, but the whole disk is defragged. Both snapshots get the treatment.

Pete

13. Long View

I haven't used FDISR for a long time but if you load a secondary snapshot and then use a defrag program to analyse you will find an undefragged snapshot.
    I would have thought that the way these programs work this would have to be the case ? If you are still using perhaps you could check ?

1 defrag primary
    2 reboot to secondary snapshot
    3 analyse secondary

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hmmmm, interesting. I have never bothered to check myself but Raxco tech support, back in the days when they sold the original FirstDefense, told me that ALL Snapshots get defragged when running a defragger.

Acadia

15. Peter2150

I don't even install a defragger in the secondary snapshot. But I can see Ultimate Defrag moving files in the secondary snapshot. Good enough for me.

Pete

16. Peter2150

Tested, and for sure when you defrag with FDISR at least UD treats the whole disk. Everything defragged.

Pete

17. Long View

Have you run UD from within a second snapshot to determine the state of that snapshot when used ? or just from the primary ?

18. Peter2150

What I did was install UD in secondary, then went back to primary and defragged. Booted back to secondary and UD's picture was identical.

Also when defragging I saw it moving some of the other snapshot files..

Pete

19. Long View

Good news. If I remember correctly I could not get this to work with Perfect Disk. As I now use UD I will dig out FD-ISR and try it with UD. Thanks

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

As Peter says, it's probably best to just defrag in the Primary snapshot. As it is, he and some others, myself included, have stripped down the Secondary snapshot to the bare minimum and only use it as a boot mechanism while updating the Primary from an archive.

21. Long View

Have installed FD-ISR on a spare machine. Then Installed UD2008 . Next made a secondary and finally defragmented the primary. Rebooted to the secondary to find that the archived files did not need moving but that the performance files did. This is clearly not a problem to FD-ISR users but makes sense to me.
    How could you have 5 snapshots all well defragmented at the same time ?
    Yes they are fine following a primary defrag but once you boot to a snapshot things will not be where they belong. I think the Eaz-fix Robblack Rx FAQs support this view ?

22. Peter2150

We are wondering way off topic, but Longview, you can't at all compare Rollback/Eazfix with FDISR, in terms of defragging. The reason all the snapshots get defragged is they are just files on the disk like any other. Not true of RB/EF

Pete

PS It worked the same way with Perfect Disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.