EAZ-FIX and Rollback Rx vulnerabilities

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Selukwe, Dec 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

I never defrag my C (protected) drive with RB installed. But as my data is on the D drive then the C drive doesn't change much and needs little defragging when I do.
    I'm not 100% sure how EF/RB would work with Restoration but, if any deleted files were still in any of the snapshots then they wouldn't be deleted at all. Any writes by Restoration would be redirected and yes, RB does assume control of anything written to the disk. This is how it works :) .

With your location, I guess you might find that easier than the rest of us ;) .
    Whatever works for you is good :) .

Graham

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

HDS claims
    Robust ? No. Fragile ? Yes and more rules to keep RBRx running properly.
    You can't do this, you can't do that. Watch this and watch that.

Not exactly what you expect from an Immediate System Recovery software,
    that is constantly on-line and confronted with new software, malware, experiments, ...
    What will I do more in practice : recover my system or save RBRx itself o_O

3. nexstar

It survives the ErikAlbert Test Virus.....that's good enough for me ;) .

Graham

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is that all, it takes for you, to evaluate an ISR-software : one event ?

5. nexstar

Well, that and two years of pretty much daily use.....

Graham

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You nexstar sincerely, for taking the time offering your parallel opinions and facts as to do with my results.

The comment of tossing to the cosmic abyss is always my first knee jerk reaction when i run into something like the HD space completely full like that.

I have no intentions to dismiss EAZ-FIX just yet. What i did do is re-establish a good working BaseLine and deleted the one i used RESTORATION on since EAZ-FIX adds the temp space into a potential snapshot, hence the HUGE over run.

After reclaiming the lost space again and a new baseline it's a lesson learned. I'll just forego any such routines in the future and let EAZ-FIX proceed unhindered by them, and i think things may just go well from here on out.

7. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

I know alot people in past been burned by Rollback but only thing i'm unhappy about is the amount of fragmentation and used space which is caused by using Eaz-Fix aka Rollback. Sure there are bugs but it hasn't collapsed on me yet. I take a differential backup everyday which amounts to 200-300mb a day. If i did get these worse problems some of you are describing then i would simply restore the daily differential. The benefits outweigh, it isn't so bad not to use if you cover yourself this way. May i suggest you do the same.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2007
  8. Selukwe

Selukwe Registered Member

From what I have gathered so far is that one of the sensitive situations of EF/RB operation is when taking snapshots soon before restart or shutdown combined with a subsequent power outage (or a necessity to manually switch off the PC if it gets stuck). Taking manual snapshots before shutting down but also hourly snapshots (a snapshot may incidentally happen just at the time of shutdown) should thus be possibly avoided. I use scheduled snapshots on restart only plus manual snapshots as required. So far it continues to run smoothly and reliably with absolutely no problems, even if my PC gets stuck at shutdown and must be manually switched off. On the next restart the checkdisk is then called by EF and after it finishes the system succesfully continues to load Windows.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  9. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

So, what the fuss about in this thread ?...with such a thread title, even the healthy becomes sick.

10. Selukwe

Selukwe Registered Member

Not really. If we successfully identify the program's soft spots and try to consciously avoid them that's realizing vulnerabilities and promoting healthy behavior (so that our system does not become sick...:)). I invite others to share their tips on what to possibly avoid, or not to do, to stay healthy.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

To stay healthy, my advice is to not intall this software!!!

12. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I have to disagree.
    Bought EAZ-FIX back in early Sept.
    Have had nary a problem.
    Used it many times to restore a snap shot after trialing new sotware.
    Do just one manual snapshot daily and one before any new install.
    For me the software has performed as stated it would.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

eaz-fix does have a strictly coded chain of command that if compromised either deliberately or accident can cause surprise concerns. Mine was minimal compared to RollBackRx before, so far EAZ-FIX is perking along without serious incident, a lot longer than RollbackRx. There must be at least some differences to their respective internal codings because EAZ-FIX is yet to puke out, it's a matter of giving up though my third party disc cluster cleaners and other apps but that's not a hinderance to discourage useage of it.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter, are you comparing the same versions. My understanding is it's the same program.

15. fce

fce Registered Member

wrong!

in my PC, when Returnil can't fix the problem by restarting....Rollback Rx8.1 do the job.

if you want to stay healthy with lots of software installed, better use Rollback Rx8.1

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

The Rollback Rx bashing saga continues in this forum .....sad.

17. silver0066

...but true.

18. Peter2150

Silver you keep beating this drum, but you are just one. Many others aren't having problems. Also, like you I had problems with earlier versions, but I flat couldn't break 8.1. I chose not to use it because of feature issues, but not reliablity issues.

Sam of HDS is very keen to fix problems, and if you have tested 8.1 and there are problems report them to him. He will work to fix them. But your continuing one and two line posts when people are discussing this software, doesn't accomplish anything, and in the end hurts your creditiblity more than HDS.

Lastly if you don't want to bother testing and reporting to them, then that is certainly your privilege. If you have moved on fine, but move on completely and stop with these posts.

Pete

19. silver0066

I am NOT beating any drums. This software has crashed my computer many times, no matter what you say. I am not the only one it has happened to. I have a right to inform others of my opinion of the software, whether you like it or not. I don't mean to be snippy with you as your posts have helped me alot over the years. But don't scold me just because you were not able to break it.

It is crash prone software, and it requires an imaging program to fix plus other backup software for the other partitions it ruins. Granted, it does not happen every time you use it. In my situation it would go along for weeks, and then crash my computer for no reason. People should be aware of this. That is what these forums are for.

Silver

20. Peter2150

Silver

First have you tested the latest version? If not either test it and report the problems to HDS or drop it.

Second yes the forums are for informing people, but they can search and read all the threads about a subject. Your two posts were in no way informative or helpful. But everytime there is a thread to just post like you do isn't helpful or informative.

21. fce

fce Registered Member

sometime it hurt, but you have to move on dude :D

next time use the 15 or 30 days trial period so that you will not looks st upid when it won't work on your PC.

22. Peter2150

FCE

That is quite inappropriate, and sort of reflects the comment back on you. Sometimes you see problems immediately, sometimes not. I've trialed stuff that looked great, and several months later figured out the problems it was causing me.

Pete

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I'll just say this :cautious: It might have problems, BUT! look in the forum of another Recovery system on this site, and you'll find dozens of posts about errors with that product too... Step down from the pole your climbing up people :shifty: Its YOU! the end user who causes the problem with these, and everything else on the market (myself included) I'm not innocent of tampering and brakeing stuff ;) Vulnerabilities, are caused by the gullable, and that means US! :cautious: As to the promise these companies make about how faithful and relaible their products are :cautious: I sugest you read my Signature below carefully for the Answer :cautious:

Also for those of you who experience disk crashes with Rollback, May I sugest enabling the "Disable malicious direct disk IO" found in the security tab

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  24. Peter2150

Ah DVD+R, you have to be a bit careful about blaming the user. I never had the tab checked, but until 8.1 the program wasn't stable All I did that broke it was test programs, that frequently would crash. Recoverying from that is the whole point of a recovery program, and if a tested program crashes takes down the recovery program, it is useless. Until 8.1, Rollback indeed had issues, but 8.1 fixed them from my testing.

25. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

All the reported problems seems to be associated with Rollback or clone version 7 and below which is causing all the commotions and confusions......those were history ! (Who is talking about Windows 98 BSOD and refusing to use Windows XP :p )

Suggest that all the reported "crashes and vulnerabilities" be referenced to version 8 or 8.1 of Rollback and clones.

Let's move on .......Welcome 2008 !:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.