EasyBCD bypasses Returnil

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by Robin A., Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

If I do a simple change in the boot menu using EasyBCD with the virtual protection enabled, this change remains after reboot.

Example: With Returnil enabled, EasyBCD (2.1) > Edit Boot Menu > I change "Windows 7 Home Premium" to "Windows 7" and save the settings. After reboot, in EasyBCD > View Settings, the boot menu entry appears changed to "Windows 7".

In this computer, the boot partition and the system partition are the same. So, the boot menu shouldn´t be changed. What happens?

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Microsoft BCD Store has a bug. What shows under EasyBCD and not usually shown under the BCD Store.

Best regards,

KOR!

3. Robin A.

If I reboot and press the F8 key, the changes made also appear in the Advanced Boot Options.

4. aladdin

Not always. Play some more with EasyBCD by adding more items, then changing their names. And, on boot the changed names will not appear as changed.

Also, change "Boot default OS after xx seconds" to "Skip the boot menu" and see what happens.

Best regards,

KOR!

5. Robin A.

Yes, there may be problems with EasyBCD and Windows. I only use EasyBCD occasionally, to create bootable USB sticks.

But my original point was about Returnil. The simple change I made with Returnil enabled remained in effect after a reboot, and it was visible both in EasyBCD and in the F8 menu "Advanced Boot Options". I think this shouldn´t happen, because the boot information is in the system partition, which should remain unchanged after a reboot.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  6. aladdin

Dear Robin,

I fully agree with you and the culprit could easily be Returnil. Maybe, Mike (Coldmoon) can chime on this?

Best regards,

KOR!

7. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    I have been following the discussion and alerted the team. They are investigating this in the lab and will reply as soon as possible.

Mike

8. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi,
    The engineering team has been able to reproduce your results and is working on a fix for the next build (REL 15). I will update the thread as soon as I get word on the release schedule.

Thanks for the reports and feedback on this one.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.