easy firewall mode select please

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by daveiw, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Hello, I'm a new user of ESS and quite like it, I've been of Nod32 av for quite some time though.

One glaring and yet simple thing that is missing though, is the option to select policy mode easily after setting rules up. This could be done through right clicking the taskbar icon for example and changing it there.

To me at least, it should be simple to create a rule for a new application and then block anything without a rule almost immediately after, similar to say Outpost. (Which I use on my main pc alongside Nod32 AV)

Dave.

2. Balthazor

Balthazor Registered Member

I concur wholeheartedly. You should be able to set a few rules via interactive mode, perhaps, and then switch to automatic.

I have a few non-tech users that I would like to do this with, to prevent them from freaking out or blocking unintentionally programs that the firewall flags and that I haven't created rules for.

Let me create a few rules, then set on automatic mode to prevent user error. I think that's clear.

3. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

Good to see I'm not the only one that thinks this. :)

Funny thing is, it is relatively easy to switch from interactive to automatic, but not so to switch to policy mode, though still not as easy nor natural as it should be...

4. saffron

saffron Registered Member

The ESS firewall sucks. I've never seen so many error messages in my life. ESET Support asked me to run programs to list of every single piece of software I have installed and send it to them. I'd like to try to help them fix the bugs, but there's fat chance of that ever happening. My privacy is more important than their bugs.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you see some kind of attacks in the firewall log, there's just a little chance they would be false. In such case a log from Ethereal would help us figure out the reason.

6. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

I can see how to switch between automatic and interactive modes, but how do you switch to Policy Mode?

Dave; Is "Policy Mode" like "Block Most" mode on Outpost?

7. daveiw

daveiw Registered Member

- It is indeed, or appears to be.

However, I can't say how to go into policy mode right now as I am away from the pc running ESS and can't remember the exact option. I think it's in advanced setup options => firewall from memory though.

8. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Automatic Settings.

Personal Firewall

and there it is in a "scroll bar", click the little arrow in the drop down box.

9. EnGenie

EnGenie Registered Member

Thanks. I knew that it had to be hiding somewhere.;)

It would be nice if they could add the modes to the context menu that appears when you right-click on the System Tray icon (like Outpost). :cool:

In Automatic mode does it allow all outgoing connections except where there is a rule explicitly blocking it, (like "Allow most" mode in Outpost), or does it ignore all rules?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.