Easiest/best way to disconnect for cleaning?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Argent, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argent

Argent Registered Member

Hope this isn't an insult to anyone's intelligence here because it is seems so fundamental, but it's a problem for me that I hope someone else might share and address.

Routinely I like to do a thorough system cleaning (temp files, cookies, cache, swap file, etc.) using a wiping utility. Before starting the wipe, I shut down as many programs and processes as feasible so that the app can do its most effective job. As a precaution I first always unplug the ethernet cable from my cable modem, which assures me that nothing can get through while my ZoneAlarm firewall is intentionally disabled. Unfortunately, disconnecting the cable is physically difficult for me to do because of its location and my circumstances, so it's a chore I put off too often. My question is, might there an easier way to block all internet traffic during these maintenance periods - for example, maybe some kind of a simple, remote-controlled ethernet switch, or maybe a small software blocking app that will accomplish the same results? Zone Alarm features an "Internet Lock", of course, which can easily be activated, but this is moot since ZA itself is one of the apps disabled. I would be most interested in learning how others approach this matter. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am not aware of your particular set-up and situation, but for me it would be easier to unplug the cable from the splitter near the phonejack as opposed to the back of the modem.

3. ClassicQ

ClassicQ Guest

Either disconnect/disable the connection via Network Connection in XP or if your network is behind a NAT router disconnect it through the web interface (ie. 192.168.0.1). I don't see a real reason for disabling ZA or your connection for that matter, if your concerned set it (ZA) to block all, whether it's in his state or disabled (turned off) won't make any difference to the wipe. After deleting the files listed in your general clean up will require that you wipe/overwrite all free space too. The general cleanup should be performed daily, the free space wipe quarterly if your concerned.

4. Argent

Argent Registered Member

Thanks much for the suggestion to disable from Network Connections - one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ideas. Simple, effective, and right from my keyboard. Incidentally, The reason why I disable ZA is because the eraser I use - BCWipe - suggests by way of a plug-in that ZA's Internet Logs can also become quite large after time and so should be wiped, too. Thanks again for the help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.