Earthquake and powerful tidal waves kill thousands in Southeastern Asia.

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by nadirah, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the death toll has risen to more than 50.000 !!!

I just cannot believe this, this can happen all over the world and it is called a dead zone. there is an Island I don't know anymore where but if their shore will drop in the see (as large as great brittain) there will be a huge wave of 30 metres heading to do the same as there...I hope this will not happen and they do something about those zones...

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

A Cholera breakout is the biggest fear right now.... :eek:

Left untreated, can kill in just a few hrs.

Due to all the standing water, Malaria could become a factor also.

The death toll is staggering....

snowbound

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

The United Nations says that epidemics can happen very soon if healthcare systems cannot cope with the disaster victims. Some mortuaries in India have also run out of space to store more dead bodies. :eek::'(

4. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

I'm so sorry Snowbound...,

When I was jokingly having fun with you yesterday, when you helped me in the other thread, I wasn't aware of your Worry about your friend. :doubt: :oops:

As I understand it, she is Alright though, right !?? And I am happy for you about that.

My heart goes out to each and everyone that is affected by this Horror !!

:'(

~Nat~

5. snowbound

No need to be sorry. :)

Although in hospital, she is doing fine. :D

I read a story this morning, where 1 man lost his wife and 4 children.... :'(

For all the families who lost loved ones, my heart goes out to u....

snowbound

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  6. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I am positive they are in good hands!!

my heart goes out for them.

7. snowbound

8. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O What can one say? Words are inadequate! I submitted a suggestion with CNN last night, because I knew of no where else to submit it. Here it is:

Those poor people had no advance warning, this does not have to be the case in the future. Perhaps they can come up with a flag warning based upon the same idea as with a hurricane warning, and the minute there is an earth quake and the slightest possibility of a tidal wave the flag(S) would be posted.

We are a large group of people, and if we all suggest that something like this be implemented, it could become a reality. I urge all to submit ideas like this to any and everywhere they think it will have an impact. I also agree we need to come together as a world community and provide whatever aid we can, even if it is just a suggestion like this or our prayers.

Thanks
    wildman
    :cool: ;) :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  9. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

If you're sending help....
    1. PLEASE USE ONLY OFFICIAL/GOVERNMENT CHANNELS TO SEND MONEY/FOOD ETC. [INDIA HAS THE PRIME MINISTER'S RELIEF FUND]
    2. IF YOU ARE SENDIG FOOD.... PLEASE MAKE SURE IT IS BASIC FOODS LIKE GRAINS [WHEAT/RICE ETC.] AND NOT PROCESSED ITEMS LIKE CORNFLAKES... THE CHILDREN OF MANY AREAS REFUSED TO EAT SUCH PROCESSED "OUT OF THE BOX" FOODS AFTER THE GUJARAT QUAKE OF 2K1
    3. CRITICALLY IMPORTANT ITEMS ARE POTABLE (drinking) WATER AND BASIC MEDICATION LIKE ANTISEPTICS

10. NanDog

NanDog Registered Member

I'll second slammer's suggestion! This is an unprecedented tragedy! I've been praying hard for all the poor souls, living and dead, affected by this disaster. But secondly, I just sent off a major contribution to my favorite international relief organization. A lot of us live in some of the richest nations on earth. The money we've spent on our computers alone would support a family in some of the affected countries for a year or more! It's time for the global community to come together and help those who most need it. So donate money or time or goods or prayer! Please do what you can for these poor souls! The victims of this calamity need all of that!

11. no13

Within 15-45 minutes of the quake, certain countries in the pacific region knew of the impending Tsunami... why this information wasn't shared, I do not know.
    edit: just thought i should mention... this was in the Indian Express [a respected daily in India] delivered to a firiend a couple of hours ago. It's from the centre page in an article about Questions...
    the countries of the region never expected a tsunami and were caught unawares. This was first Tsunami in the region in recorded history.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Very sad for the whole World :'(

It's the force of the Nature...

Hope they rest in peace...

13. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Perhaps an advanced warning system will help in the future,however it took barely 2 hrs I think to reach india and less the other regions . Many may have moved perhaps off the beach but many would still not have survived well as many locations are only a few feet above sea level. Even whole atols and islands were over run by the waves completely. The wave travels at excess 500kmh .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  14. nadirah

Tsunami kills more than 67,000

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 6:41 AM EST (1141 GMT)
    http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.deaths/index.html

Deaths by country:

Sri Lanka: 23,015 -- For information about local residents in Sri Lanka, call + 94 11 536 1938; for tourists the number is + 94 11 243 7061.

India: At least 10,000 -- To contact representatives from India, call + 91 11 2309 3054.

Indonesia: 32,836

Thailand: 1,574 -- Thai emergency hotline +66 2643 5262 and 2643 5000

Myanmar: 90

Malaysia: 65

Maldives: 46 -- Government hotline +44 20 7224 2149

Tanzania: 10

Bangladesh: 2

Somalia: Kenyan media reports hundreds dead

Kenya: Kenyan media reports one death

Seychelles: Unconfirmed reports of deaths -- For information on travelers, call +248 321 676

15. nadirah

Tsunami death toll tops 80,000 :eek:

Officials just reaching hardest hit areas in Indonesia

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 10:20 AM EST (1520 GMT)

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/asia.quake/index.html

CNN has confirmed that the undersea earthquake off Sumatra and the giant waves it triggered killed 80,427 people, and that number is expected to rise.

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

If some 70 % of those clearly over 2000 missing Scandinavians in that disaster area were deceased, it's enormous catastrophe to the whole Scandinavia. If we can proportion that number to US population, it should be over 20 000 dead during one morning. May God bless that the number of deceased will be as small as possible.

PS. The local number of deceased will still be clearly over 100 000 people.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. nadirah

LATEST NEWS: Death toll now at more than 87,000.
    TOTAL: 87,475
    The Red Cross says that the death toll could go beyond 100,000.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

19. snowbound

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  20. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Dear Steve,

I'm so very happy that your friend survived this disaster !
    I hope she will soon recover !!!!!

===

It was such a "strange" feeling: I had a few days a nice holiday. Every evening when we checked the TV in our hotel-room, we were shocked about this disaster.... :'( :'( :'(

===

Have we already heard news from our friends who live (or were on vacation) in these areas?
    I'm sure that I'm forgetting some of them (for which I really do apologize!!!):
    Have we heard from Subratam and his girl-friend, from Donna, from others.....
    Does anybody know how they are?

21. no13

STOP
    STOP
    please stop giving stats about deaths, towns vanishing....
    If you can, please post only survival stories... like the girl who floated ashore on the door of her home to land in the middle of kraits and vipers, but came to be rescued unharmed in the Nicobar Islands... oOr the Hong Kong couple, when the wife floated on a mattress and the husband clung on to a branch, to be reunitd at the relief center.
    Remember 9/11, when families were allowed to "grieve in private" and the "dignity of death" was maintained, and not a single body was shown on TV? Letus pay our respects to the deceased now... let us maintain their dignity...

22. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

I got a PM from Subratam the other day and he is OK. He said nothing happened where he lives (Eastern India). I don't know about Priyanka though. But if anything would have happened I'm sure he would have said. Baskar1234 is OK too.

Official death toll now over 119,000 :'(

23. nadirah

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/31/asia.quake/index.html

Tsunami death toll tops 135,000 :'(

World Bank gives $250m, European nations boost pledges

Friday, December 31, 2004 Posted: 6:19 AM EST (1119 GMT)

JAKARTA, Indonesia (CNN) -- The world was stepping up efforts to aid millions of survivors of the devastating tsunami that swept across southern Asia as the death toll rose above 135,000.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  24. nadirah

We have every single right to do that. You don't tell us what to post here. This thread is for all news about the earthquake and tsunami disaster.

25. snowbound

no13,

I'm sorry but all stories, good and bad, facts and figures, should be reported, no matter how unbearable. This is a disaster of epic proportions. These people are crying out for our help. It is needed now.....

Everyone, please donate if u can.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.