EAM + OPFW + ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Feandur, Aug 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feandur

Feandur Registered Member

Running Emsisoft AntiMalware v8.1 with Outpost Firewall Pro v8.1, pretty much with default settings. :cool:

Can anyone advise , who knows the strengths and weaknesses of these products, as to whether this is sufficient security for every day use by teenagers?

Would it be best if I added another application to fill in any "security holes" from this combo, if any such exists?

ATM I like the reports on Appguard, ERP, Exploit Shield MBAE :D , HitMan Pro Alert, and even Voodoo Shield - which seems to be developing nicely.
    MBAM Pro real time might just be a duplication of EAM - so will probably just run that on-demand.

Any insights, suggestions, are welcomed. :)

-cheers,
    feandur

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

For teenagers, you might consider ERP. You can lock it up with passwords on everything.

Pete

3. siketa

siketa Registered Member

I think anti-executables are not needed if you already use HIPS cause they also detect process execution.
    This setup is very powerful.
    You could add something like Sandboxie or ShadowDefender but is not necessary.

4. Feandur

Thanks Peter2150 , siketa. :thumb:

Would also like to hear from others using the same combo.

Any extras ?

-cheers,
    feandur.

[at least it seems a good basis for security. Very quiet and smooth so far! ]

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

nice combo :thumb:, but I think that's a rare one.
    from many signature I read here, ppl usually goes with EAM + OA

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  6. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

EAM's behaviour blocker may well be at least as powerful, if not better, as Outpost's HIPS module, so I don't see a benefit in security in combining these two. I wouldn't replace Outpost with Online Armor either, although Online Armor's outbound protection is way better on standard settings.

You have to ask yourself one question. If you encounter a malware, that is so well done that it won't be blocked by and on top of that doesn't even trigger a response from EAM's behaviour blocker, asking you whether you should allow it or not, why should Online Armor or Outpost pick it up?

While we're at it, you have mentioned AppGuard and NVT ERP. Those programs are definitely worth looking at, although I don't see them as an addition to real-time security software but rather a replacement. With either you could ditch real-time protection und complement them with simple on demand scanning.

So if you want to stay with real-time protection, just keep EAM for the same level of security with less nuisance.

7. Replace EAM with Avast 2014 and put it in hardened mode. It is specially designed for situations like that (blocks execution of binaries with low reputation score).

8. Feandur

@Windows_Security Sounds good! What FireWall do you suggest for two way control on Windows 8 and Windows 7 [both 64bit]. I've another 2 laptops to consider security for.

@FleischmannTV already a done deal on my son's laptop....but now considering options for my daughter's laptop....and one other. It's just that I like the idea of an extra... So, I put it as 2 votes to ERP, 1 for appguard. Any votes for Voodoo shield ... ?Cutting_Edgetech...;)

@blasev I wanted a quiet, bug free fw, and outpost has done well in past tests....and also hayc59 recommends it :D ..also got a cheap lifetime licence. :cool:

-cheers,
    feandur

9. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I run EAM and OPFW together and love the combination. I would suggest setting up your router to us Norton DNS to block Malware websites from your teenagers. I would also suggest, as has been suggested before, Sandboxie.

Norton DNS

10. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

I run both and they are working great together (with Sandboxie and Defensewall as well).

11. Well when you are happy with OPFW, stick with this when they have 64 bit available.

Or instead of OPFW + AVAST 2014, you could install CIS, using these tweaks to force unknown programs in sandbox. This is more strict as the OPFW + AVAST 2014 combo https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339661

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2013
  12. Feandur

Thanks Windows_Security - but not a fan of CIS at all...though your tweeks look very inviting.

For my daughter's laptop I think simple is best - so I'll stay with OP + EAM.

But for the spare laptop, really keen to try out Avast.

-thanks for all the suggestions.

-cheers,
    feandur.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.