E00070020: The image archive is corrupted - TI8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by SloppyGoat, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat Registered Member

Latest version of TI8 Server. I can make images, and they complete successfully. I can mount and explore them, and they appear fine. But, if I run a check, they're always reported as corrupt. I'm betting there's really nothing wrong with the file, but I sure as hell wouldn't take any chances trying to restore any image that's been reported corrupt. In fact, it reports that images that I made with the Acronis TI boot CD are also corrupt. I'm pretty damn sure they're not really corrupt, since I've used this method of backup many times. But, it doesn't really matter if Acronis thinks they're corrupted, does it? I can't rely on it to restore a good image, apparently.

I see there are tons of problems with this. Any solution yet? Or should I just throw this software in the trash? And no, I won't use version 9 yet. It still has fatal flaws, IMO.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Gee, you must be rich being able to throw TI Server into the trash.

Since the images look OK for the reasons you state, I would run Memtest86+ memory test on your box for a few hours. Verifying the image is a very memory intensive and it only takes one dropped bit to screw up the verify.

Memtest86+ can be obtained for free at:http://www.memtest.org

Some other people have resolved the problem by unloading software such as Norton etc.

3. SloppyGoat

No, not rich, but if I can't use the software, what else would I do with it? How about if I just copy the image to another PC and see if it verifies there? I can't have my server down for hours to run Memtest. It's just not an option. Seems to me that tons of people are having this problem. Do they all have bad RAM?

Well, I checked the image with TI8 on another PC. It says it's corrupted too. I don't know what else to do. There is no Norton or anything like that running on it. I hate Norton with a passion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello SloppyGoat,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (101:cool: of Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Could you please tell us where the backups are saved to?

If you save your images to an external hard drive, please try to save the image both in Windows and in rescue mode onto an internal hard drive and see whether the problem remains.

Please let us know the results.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

5. SloppyGoat

Actually, this is build 1213. I am saving to an internal drive. It's a Windows 2000 Server. I've registered twice now, and I still received no email.

6. Acronis Support

Hello SloppyGoat,

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

You didn't mention that you use Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows and not Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Windows. Therefore Tatyana thought that you use the latter. However, version does not make sense in this particular case, only the build number. I mean that it is preferred to use the latest one.

First of all, please try searching for the registration confirmation e-mail in your junk mail folder as the letter might be there. If that's not the case then try retrieving your password here. If that does not help either then please submit a request for technical support using Ask a question before you purchase Acronis software link or send a letter directly to support@acronis.com. Describe the issue and provide the link to this thread in your request. One of our support engineers will certainly provide you with your login credentials.

As for the problem you encounter, please let us know if you have ever been able to create an image that verifies successfully on this particular server. As this sort of problems is usually related to the faulty hardware, namely, faulty memory stick or hardware cable\controller, we strongly recommend you to perform a memory test as seekforever has suggested above. Please also try creating an image saving it to any other drive and then check the resulting image both when the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows is running from under Windows and when your server is booted from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows. Inform us about the results.

Please also download and install the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows, create new image and see if the problem still persist. Let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

7. SloppyGoat

Although I administer the server, it's not actually mine. Taking it offline for extended testing is just not an option right now. I hate to even have to reboot it, really...which I have to do twice, each time I install and uninstall TI. I'll try the new trial version and see if it does anything different.
    I have made images with the boot CD. I've also saved to different drives. It completes fine, but when I verify it, it fails everytime.
    How positive are you that this could be a RAM issue? Because there are no other signs of this. The server runs about as smooth and error free as possible. I see no reason to suspect any RAM problems, other than this application. I've always loved Acronis TI, and it would be a shame if I can't use it on this server.

8. SloppyGoat

v.9.1 does the same thing, except the verification fails immediately now. It used to fail at about 35% on v.8

9. Acronis Support

Hello SloppyGoat,

I'm afraid that we can not be 100% sure about this issue being memory related.

As you do not want to reboot your server please inform us about the results of the following tests:

- Try to create images splitting them into smaller parts (see section 5.4 of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows User's Guide for details);

- Try moving\copying large files, e.g. disk\partition images themselves, between the hard drives and comparing their checksums calculated using eXpress CheckSum Calculator before and after the files were moved\copied;

- Create an image saving it to any location on your network, i.e. any network drive or shared folder and see how it verifies by means of the embedded Check Image tool;

- Have ever been able to create an image that verifies successfully on this particular server?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

I have created a bootable DVD with TI 9.1 and get the same error E00070020
    whenrestoring though my image MD5 hash are the same

11. SloppyGoat

See, that's what I'm afraid of. If I can't verify these images, how can I be sure TI is going to restore them? I sure don't want to try it on this server.

The images I made with the TI8 boot CD seem to verify, but only using the regular TI8 version from a remote PC. Those same images do not verify with TI9, nor do any images made with TI9 verify with TI8. I'm not really sure if images were ever verified successfully on this particular server. I know TI has been on it for some time, but that's all I know.
    If it's just the verification that fails, would giving the program a lower priority slow it down a bit and maybe allow it to complete the check? Should version 8 and 9 be able to verify images made with either version?

12. Acronis Support

Hello SloppyGoat,

Did you perform any of the tests I have suggested above? If yes, then please inform us about the results.

I'm afraid that it's not possible to find out the reason why Acronis True Image creates corrupt images or verifies actually non-corrupt backups as corrupt without knowing the results of these tests.

Please also copy any of the images having the issue to any other computer, install Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows on that computer and try to verify the image once more. Let us know the result.

Please be aware that Acronis True Image versions are "backwards" compatible, i.e. images created using version 8.0 should verify fine using version 9.1 while images created using version 9.1 might not verify using version 8.0. The point is that the format of diks\partition image archive has been slightly changed in version 9.1 so that they can be mounted in a read\write mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

13. SloppyGoat

Sorry, I got hit with the flu, so it might be a few days before I can do anymore tests. I'll let you know what I find though. Thanks.

14. SloppyGoat

Same results...it fails verification.

All MD5 hashes matched perfectly.

Same results...it fails verification.

An interesting note, since you said TI9 is backward compatible:

Any image I make with the TI8 boot CD verifies with TI8 remotely or locally, but does not verify with TI9. When I try to verify it with TI9, it reports it as corrupted immediately.

15. vareniky

vareniky Registered Member

I find it funny that error E00070020 pops up even when there is not such error at all the false positive notice shows when restoring or checking for image integrity with the wizard
    After getting the error I restarted and attempted a restore the image was restored successfully
    Can I trust image verification built in? NO!
    :D

16. SloppyGoat

So, an image did successfully restore, even though you got that error when you verified? That was what I was thinking, but I don't have a test server to test that theory, and I really didn't want to risk it on this one.

17. Acronis Support

Hello SloppyGoat,

First of all, we would like to thank you for all the information you have provided. However, I'm afraid that this issue requires a deeper investigation.

Could you please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please also create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post for both Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (1213) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows and Bootable Rescue CD created using the free trial version of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows. Rename the files created to sysinfo_8.txt and sysinfo_9.txt accordingly.

Please be aware that when using version 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD you should press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears and not when the selection screen appears (version 8.0 Bootable Rescue CD does not have a selection screen).

Please also note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt file is not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters (SYSINFO.TXT) or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.