E trust 7 Promo and trojans

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jason Voorhees, Dec 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi,

Am I in the need for an extra AT when running Etrust resident and fully updated?

I use The cleaner 3.5 also, but i'm starting to belief it's sitting there now, only eating resources.

I also run ZA PRO 4.

I have no idea on how the Inoculate & Vet engine cope with trojans.

Are they (both) as good as Kaspersky or Macafee ?

I use Inoculate for on-acces and Vet for my weekly "deep" on -demand scan.

I also run from time to time Housecall or RAV online.

Can Etrust handle polymorphic or .DLL injecting malware ?

thanks,

Jason.

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi Jason,
    I should never RELY on an AV for detecting Trojans, some of them have some heuristic detection and signatures but it's only an extra, which you should not depend on
    Dolf

3. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Yes, together with Etrust I would recommend a seperate AT program.

Important for an AT program is that is has either an unpacking engine or a memory scanner. As far I remember TheCleaner3.5 hasn't got any of these options and therefore could be considered more or less as "useless".

No. KAV is still the "leading" av software in this special area: backdoor trojans and unpacking.

Every av program is able to handle polymorphic malware but the quality depends from program to program. In terms of *.dll injecting malware I am not sure what you exactly mean. If it comes to detect malware in an *.dll file that's no problem for an av - of course the malware has to be known to the av in this case.

wizard

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.