E-mule and Limewire

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Delgado, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Delgado

Delgado Registered Member

I am considering this Firewall, and like it very much, however, regarding e-mule and Limewire-the set rules available for download for e-mule dont appear to work as they dont include Kad. People are kind enough to post files with working instructions for both these programmes, but when I download them they come in as notepad.

My question is-how do i get these into LooknStop? Have you got to enter them all manually, cos when I go to import them they dont show in the box window, as they are notepad files.

Matbe Im dim -sorry!!!

Delgado

2. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello Delgado,

Don't worry about asking questions it is the best thing to do when you are having problems.

This is a fast way to do this.

1. Go into your LnS rulesets,copy one of the rls ruleset to your desktop

2,Open it and delete everything in there,it is only a copy so don't worry,just don't take the actuall rls file.

3. Cut and paste the info that was sent to you in your text file rules from P2p

4. Find the empty rls file that you just deleted all info from.

5.Paste the info from your text word pad and add it into the rie file save changes and close.And call it anything you like.

6. Remane this rls file to rie,then you can now import the rules into LnS

7.You can put it in with the rest of your rulesets,the rie file is not shown but when you go to import you will now see a rie file.

8.Highlight it and import the rules they will be at the top of your rule-set

9.You can name the rie file anything you like

10. You should now see the rules in LnS.

11. Activate them and put them in the correct place and your all set!

Good luck,it is very easy to do once you understand the rls file from rie file which are used to import rules into your rule-set and a rls file is a rule-set which can't be used to import,unless you make a second copy and rename it to rie and then you can import the rules.

3. Delgado

Hi Kush-

Thanks very much for the explanation, Im very much obliged for your help. I will try this, and report back how I get on.

:) :) :D

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi,

If the initial files you received, are really .rie files, normally what you have to do is simply to save/copy them in the Look 'n' Stop folder and then using the import button from Look 'n' Stop you will see the files and you can import the rules.

Yes, it you double-click a .rie it could open in notepad, but this is not the way to import the rules.
    Also sometimes when a .rie is a web link, it will open in your browser. What you have to do is a right click on the link and use the "save as..." option.

Regards,

Frederic

5. Delgado

Thanks Guys for the info-seems to work ok!

One more question please-

When you create a rule to allow say e-mule or Limewire etc, do you have to unblock the red stop sign?

Also the e-mule site says to allow e-mule to act as server allowing unrestricted access and inbound on all ports, would this threaten security?

Thanks in anticipation,

Delgado

6. Kush

Kush Registered Member

Hello,

If there is a red stop sign the rule is blocked!,if there is none it is allowing the rule to take place.

As for P2P it is a security risk for sure over all,but if you are not sure you know where to place your rules? You can in fact weaken your security and let things connect that should not be connecting.

There is a rule called: +TCP : Block incoming connections which prevents this from happening but not if your rule-set is incorrect?

It has been talked to death! In the LnS forums on this site if you would like to know if you did something wrong? In your set-up and placing of your P2p rules.

I use WinMX under advanced protocol since there is no WinMX anymore but 100,000 plus users on-line from 23-42 servers,and yes there will be people trying to hack you,or you will been infected sooner or later it just a matter of time.So since I got a new computer I decided to not to use it and not one worm has gotten in and they are very stealth and will kill your O/S if they are left on there.I was running Nod32 at the time and it did not notice it.

90% of my friends computers are trashed after using P2P software,and usually a reinstallation of your O/S is needed to wipe them off your hard drive
    some of these worms become part of your O/S and when you remove them incorrectly you damage your registry beyond repair :eek:

Your AV. won't notice them until it is too late,not saying this will happen to you,but I have a part time job fixing these computers because of p2p software ,good luck and all the best :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.