E-mail compromised

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by artkaye, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artkaye

artkaye Registered Member

Gmail alerted me about unknown activity on my mail account. A few days earlier my internet banking service had been phished and an amount was transferred out of the account. Fortunately the culprit was arrested when he attempted to collect at the bank.

I have since changed my passwords. I have installed KeyScrambler and scanned my system with MBAM and SUPERAntispyware.

What else must I do to be safer? Thank you in advance.

2. x942

x942 Guest

Someone doesn't like Gmail i take it? gmail is plenty secure here is what I recommend:

Add two factor authentication to gmail
    Use a complex 14+ character password
    Change your secret question to something that you can remember but isn't the answer to the question.
    Setup gmail so it texts you a reset code instead of emailing you
    Use layered security (if you are up to it) plenty of forums in "other anti-malware" on this.
    View the "details" window in gmail to see who is/ connected to your account

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So Gmail is secure, but not private.

4. x942

x942 Guest

Ha! But for privacy you add PGP ;)

5. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

First of all
    Are you absolutely positive that the pc is now clean?
    If you have had a keylogger/trojan/virus onboard make sure that you are running Keyscrambler and that it covers the areas and apps when you are changing your password and logging onto something etc otherwise your password change might not make a difference; some keyloggers are extremely difficult to get rid of. Keyscrambler Premium covers more apps and areas than the free version.
    Scan your whole drive with more than one anti virus.
    I know it's a "pain" but personally because the system has been compromised I would wipe the drive and start from scratch (better safe than sorry). If you can't do that go over your pc with a fine tooth comb. You may not know who has had access to information about you/your pc other than the person that was caught trying to access your bank.

I have found that Keyscrambler works well with Sandboxie for extra protection.

good luck

pidbo

6. doctorlink

doctorlink Registered Member

Just make sure to use portable linux for online transactions.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Change passwords on a computer you know is clean. You could do it on a liveCD or something.

Also, installing something to mess with keyloggers isn't a solution. Back up your stuff and reformat if you're worried.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Reformat PC and start from scratch and then use layered security. :D
    Or as someone said, use linux portable, only for bank transactions, NOTHING ELSE :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.