E-Mail Blind Copy

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheKid7, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

If you send an E-Mail to yourself and BCC (Blind Copy) the recipients, does the E-Mail that the recipients receive have all of the BCC E-Mail addresses in the E-Mail even though the BCC addresses are not visible to the recipient?

The reason that I ask is that I just received an E-Mail (Yahoo Mail) with a suspicious link in it. The E-Mail was from someone that I know who is in my Yahoo address book. However, I have not sent any E-Mails to or received any E-Mails from the sending E-Mail address for at least 4 years. The suspicious E-Mail was sent to five E-Mail addresses, two of which are in my address book. The other three recipients are neither in my address book or in any of my Yahoo E-Mails.

I do not know what to make of this. Comments?

Thanks in Advance.

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

Answer = NO the recipients receiving the BCC Email DO NOT have the BCC Email Addresses, or any Email Addresses.
    That is the purpose of BCC to prevent all reciepents from seeing or harvesting the other reciepents Email Addresses.
    From each reciepents view it is as though the sender Emailed each person individually.

Comment = First I would send an Email to the person that you have not sent or recieved an Email from in four years
    asking that person if they sent the Email out to you and all the others.

If that person DID send the Email out in bulk to you and all the others, then that person DID NOT use BCC (blind carbon copy)

If that person DID NOT send the Email directly to you intentionally, then perhaps one of the other five people Emailed
    your four year old lost acquaintance and your acquaintance replied choosing everyone in their address book when replying
    or perhaps when choosing reciepents mistakenly highlighted your name and or perhaps your four year old lost acquaintance
    Emailed all five people intentinally, unintentionally choosing your name in the bulk Emailing sending out six Emails.....
    you being the sixth, and NOT USING BCC.

I would start by contacting your lost acquaintance of four years

Copy and Paste the suspicious link into Google and see what turns up

Check the status of the Domain Name in the suspicious link here:

McAfee Online SiteAdvisor
    http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/

EDIT: Added Link

HKEY1952

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.