Dyn's Internet Guide DNS Service?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hutchingsp, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchingsp

hutchingsp Registered Member

I wondered if anyone is using Dyn's Internet Guide DNS service?

I'm looking for something for the company I work for that is possibly a little more robust than our ISP's DNS and if it provides some supplement to the content filtering that our firewall does, all the better.

This looks like one of the few services that allows business use for a sensible fee.

Thanks.

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I've used it for a while and it performed well. I used it for my home and not a business. They use Barracuda for the filtering I believe, which we use for content filtering where I work. Not that impressed with Barracuda so I probably wouldn't use a service that utilized their technology, but simply my opinion. I'm sure others have used this service with some success.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Does pretty well, but not as good as Norton DNS or ClearCloud (soon to be discontinued).

4. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Am I right in thinking that there is no way to set-up Norton's web filtering on a router, unlike DynDNS, which is easy to set-up using Tomato firmware?

The only option is to use the Norton desk client?

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

6. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I use DynDNS Internet Guide at home. No browsing slowdown issues and protection from malicious sites is good.

7. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

Robust? Symantec/Norton and DynDNS have had a partnership for a long time (especially with respect to Symantec's security and gateway appliances and pcAnywhere). For all intents and purposes, their infrastructures and DNS exploit protections are identical. Theoretically, with Norton you get only what they lease from DynDNS; where they draw the line for paid vs. free requires more research by prospective users/customers. For free, you certainly don't get the DNS server pool either provides their paying customers, much to the consternation of the Wilders Where's-My-Free-Steak-Dinner? bozos.

As to filtering, it would be near impossible to say at any given point in time if Norton's two Malware & Phishing and Scam Sites categories are any better or worse than the three DynDNS Internet Guide Hacking, Phishing and Spyware categories. One might be effective against some threats in the morning, later on in the day - not so much. Too bad we can't use both. Maybe if one sets up Norton in the router and DynDNS in TCP/IP?? Hmmmmm.

I've been using DynDNS IG for several years with no problems. BTW, DynDNS's Advertising filtering is so good I dumped Adblock Plus two years ago and haven't looked back.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I can tell you from half a year of Dyn usage that Norton is worlds better than the rubbish Barracuda provides. I truly wish Dyn would use a different company, even Barracuda's customer support is a disgrace. Just try get them to fix a false positive, took me 3 months.

Also in all honestly, who do you think does a better job of Malware protection? Billion dollar and award winning Norton or Barracuda?

With NortonDNS you get the security of Norton's filter, PLUS the security and fast infrastructure of Dyn's servers (try run GRC's spoofability test on a Dyn server and look at how good it is). It's like using Dyn with Norton instead of Barracuda. Win-Win.

9. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I submitted some URLs to barracuda for reclassification of categories and they were fixed within a day or two. When I last tried Norton DNS it didn't block many malware links I tried from MDL. I selected the links that were fake av or redirection to fake av. But DynDNS blocked some and the erstwhile clearcloud blocked most of them.

10. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I used it before and I like Dyn's content filtering is better than any DNS I've tried IMO.
    for malware blocking NortonDNS and Clearcloud is the best.

but for performance reason I go with OpenDNS without the content filtering / default.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Norton DNS and C-O-M-O-D-O DNS are what we left with...;)

12. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Interesting post as I've been wondering about Norton DNS. I know that its free and all but is it that much better than DynDNS? I've been using DynDNS for about six months now with no issues, but its not like I peruse malware links at home to test.

How is the speed of surfing with Norton DNS is it decent? If so, I may give it a shot to compare between the two.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It uses Norton Safe Web, so it's better.

Virtually identical, because they use the same servers.

14. Trooper

Thanks for the reply. I just setup an account and set up Norton DNS here at home. Will give it a go.

Nice to know it has better malware protection then DynDNS, and, its free!

Cheers man. :cool:

15. Trooper

I wonder why Norton does not have the ability to block Social Networking sites like OpenDNS and DynDNS do. I know you can manually add them, but it seems weird.

Does anyone using the product happen to know why?

Thanks.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's an online chat category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.