DynDNS Setup Questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheKid7, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am thinking about trying DynDNS using my Dlink Router. I have already made an account with DynDNS, but have not yet setup anything.

Questions:

1. Under "Server Address", do I select "DynDNS.org (Free)"?

2. If for some reason the server address selection above does not work, what do I enter manually for the server address?

3. Is it recommended to leave the "Timeout" at the Default of 576 hours?

4. What do I need to change on each of my PC's?

5. On my PC's do I need to set the primary DNS at the Router's network address?

6. Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance.

Attached Files:

2. kupton

kupton Registered Member

What are you trying to do? Dyndns is used to keep your public IP accessible with a hostname like mydomain.dyndns.com

Are you looking for something like opendns that will allow you filter the web using dns?

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I want to try different DNS Services that are primarily Anti-Malware. Currently I am using ClearCloud DNS Beta.

4. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

1. Try the free one unless you are paying DynDNS for their service.
    2. I don't know.
    3. Yes, leave the default.
    4. You don't need to change anything on your pc's since they access the internet through your router.
    5. Leave your pc's to automatically detect dns settings.
    6. DynDNS Internet Guide and OpenDNS seem to focus more on content filtering whereClearCloud and NortonDNS focus more on blocking malware. I choose to block malware primarily at the pc level and use Internet Guide for content filtering.

5. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

DynDNS Dynamic DNS and DynDNS Internet Guide have no functional relationship.

In order to enjoy the Internet Guide "anti-malware" filtering you need to enter the server IP addresses 216.146.35.35 and 216.146.36.36 in your Windows (or Linux or Apple) TCP/IP DNS settings or somewhere in your router configuration.

You do not have to have a Dynamic DNS account to use Internet Guide. However, having a Dynamic DNS account will let you customize the Internet Guide experience - select/deselect filtering schemas, create white/black lists.

Having a Dynamic DNS account alone will not provide "anti-malware" filtering.

As far as the Dynamic DNS settings in your router, yes you need to use (Free) and enter in the Host Name, etc. and those you should have from when you created your Dynamic DNS account.

As a point of clarification, "Dynamic DNS" is the name of an Internet service provided by lots of companies, DynDNS being one.

If you do set up your dLink router for the free DynDNS, don't mess with that timeout, BTW.

DynDNS partners with Barracuda Networks. IMHO there is no better filtering, malware or otherwise.

Often overlooked fact: NortonDNS uses DynDNS.

6. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Could you explain the above sentence with some more detail?

I have dyndns free that came with my linksys router but haven't messed with it much besides getting the free account activated. If I choose to use dyndns will my bases be covered, as far as what a dns service can reasonably provide? I'm looking for the anti-malware filtering although some ad filtering would be nice too.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Ignore that, you want to change the timeout to the lowest possible. Most routers will have a set timer to check your IP. If it's the same as the IP the previous check, nothing happens. But if the IP is different, it will update Dyn. Having the update rate at 500+ hours renders the feature useless. If your IP changes, you'd have to wait nearly as much as 500 hours in some cases before your block categories are updated.

Now what LODBROK is worried about is that, if you're frequently sending updates to DynDNS that aren't doing anything, a.k.a. your IP hasn't changed since the last update, then you're going to be blocked off as a spammer. This was a warning to people with some incorrectly programmed software, but today most router software should avoid updating unless necessary, so the timer should be set at a low amount.

Mine is set to 10minutes, and I can see in the log that it doesn't send an update request unless my IP has changed.

Also to answer your question, you only need to create an account and use an updater if you want to use extra blocking categories beyond the default ones.

8. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

My bad! :oops: I could swear when I glanced at that screen shot I saw "minutes" and not "hours."

And yeah, in setting up my different routers I've been the recipient of two emails with the subject "Hostname blocked due to abuse." That was a while ago and I've since then been careful enough to avoid a third. DynDNS is watching that stuff like a hawk! Good for them. And us.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ok, thanks for the info everyone, that helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.