DVD UDF recording software - how???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by JimGreen, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

I'm still trying to transfer my complete OS from a small disk to a new larger disk. Someone here suggested that I write an image of the old disk to DVDs, disconnect the old disk and load the image using the CD stand alone version of TI. I am trying to write the image to DVDs, but I get errors. In the help file it says:

"You will need DVD UDF recording software installed for burning images on DVD disks. Examples of the software are Roxio DirectCD or Ahead InCD."

What do they mean by "installed"? I have Roxio Easy CD-DVD Creator 6 and Nero 6.6 installed on my system. Both will burn DVDs. ("DirectCD" was a component of earlier versions of Easy CD Creator.) Are either of these what I need? How do I connect either to TI for burning DVDs? TIA for your help.

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Jim, ;)

Open Nero Rom - In the New Compilation Dialogue Select DVD -> DVD ROM (UDF) -> New ... Then navigate to the image file you want to burn (The image file can't be greater than storage capacity of the DVD media - If you haven't split the image if it is greater than that, I believe you're out of luck) ... copy it to the compilation and then Burn. :)

HTH;

Steve

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

You need either Roxio Drag-to-Disc or Nero InCD installed on your computer. These are UDF writing programs. Using either one of these, format the DVD+RW or DVD-RW disks needed for your backup. After formatting TrueImage will write to the DVDs.

An even better solution is to buy an external USB2 or Firewire hard drive and create the image there.

4. JimGreen

JimGreen Guest

Thanks for the two replies. The image of my system disk is about 7-8GB with moderate compression. That means it will not fit on one DVD. How do I "split" this image into two parts to write it onto two DVDs?

The nice thing about using True Image to write the image to DVDs is that it supposidly will write multiple DVD images onto multiple DVDs. But I get an error when I try to write to a DVD-Ro_O Is there something I need to install into True Image? If so, what do I install and how do I install it? Or am I supposed to write the image to my big disk and then use Nero or Easy CD-DVD to write it to DVDs? How do I split this 7+ GB file? I'm confused.

Thanks again for your help.

5. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Here is what I had posted in an earlier thread.
    Ti gives you the options of sizing the tib files in a drop down box in the first few screens.

"One of the problems with udf dvd writing is that is is not that reliable with some systems and or software. Just google for dvd burning problems and you can see for yourself. Additionally, incd is notoriously problematic, as well as nero but to a much lesser extent.

If you want reliable secondary images on dvd try this, although it requires an additional step.
    Boot from the Ti cd.
    Set your image file size to 650 or 700mb.
    Save you images to 2nd hdrive, preferrably on the ide controller.
    Boot into windows with admin account.
    Uninstall any other burning progs such as nero or incd etc.
    Under properties of your dvd burner untick windows recording.
    Reboot.
    Download and install a free prog called Deepburner.
    Download and install a free prog called Dvdinfo.
    If you are using fresh dvd/rw open Dvdinfo and format all of your disks. If you are using just dvd/r this is not required, although they are generally more reliable.
    Open a window where your ti .tib files are stored.
    Run deepburner, pick closed session, and get to the file selection window.
    Drag and drop the .tib files from the stored window to the deepburner file selection window. Watching the bar at the screen bottom you should be able to put 6 700mb tib files on 1 dvd.
    Start your burn.
    Repeat till you have burned all your tib files on additional dvd's.
    This should make your dvd's readable on ANY dvd drive.

Reboot your system with the Ti boot disk.
    Put the last dvd in your dvd drive.
    Aim Ti to it and test a restore if possible.
    If there should be any problems with Ti reading the files on the dvd disk then copy the files from the dvd's to a separate location on a 2nd hdrive.
    Reboot with the Ti cd and try the restore from the copied files.
    Even if Ti cannot restore from the dvd's directly, you will know that it will restore when recopied to a hdrive.
    This works for me on numerous hdrives.

If you use this method in conjunction with the mobile racks I mentioned above, then you have almost any situation covered. Your new inexpensive Onlite burner should work well with this method. I generally use a Plextor with Plextools, but Deepburner works just as well. Just be sure you are using quality dvd media.

I would suggest using a version prior to TI9"

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

DeepBurner is ad supported so expect to open your system to lots of garbage popups. It may also contain spyware. On the one system where this was installed, the system locked up repeatedly.

There are better products to use.

7. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Personally, I have not run into popups or spyware from Deepburner on numerous systems.
    This is consistant with what is stated in their Faqs regarding this.

Q "My antivirus/anti-trojan software reports a trojan/keylogger/virus in DeepBurner files. Is it true?
    A Of course it's not true. DeepBurner doesn't contain any spyware, adware or any other malicious programs embedded. Please contact the producer of your antivirus software and let them know about the false positive alarm. Please remember that you can save other people's time and nerves by doing this :) Thank you."

You must however note, that in their license agreement for Deepburner Pro, it clearly states that ads and tracking software may be added only if the evaluation copy is not lisenced within the 30 day period.

I'm sure the developers would be interested in evaluating your copy.

Furthermore, depending from what sites Deepburner Free is downloaded, mailcous code can "piggyback" the download and install on a system, but I'm sure most users try their best to protect themselves on the internet in general, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello JimGreen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. The ability to write images to DVD directly will be implemented in the future builds\versions of a particular product, but exact time frame is not decided yet.

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article. Please draw attention to the so-called two-step method.

In regard to your questions:

This means that some sort of the UDF packet DVD writing software should be installed and running in the background when Acronis True Image 9.0 is imaging to DVD.

I'm afraid that there is no way to split the already created image archive. You will need to create a new image setting the desired value for the image archive split size as it is described in section 4.3.6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.