DVD-RW question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I use an external HD for my desktop backups but use DVDs to back up my laptop. I've never used "RWs". Can you use RWs? Do you have to erase them some how first? I do full backups as opposed to incrementals. Thank You!

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

RW discs were a good idea back in the day when media was expensive, but now discs are cheap. More important is that RW discs in my experience are much less reliable which makes them a poor choice for backup. And if they already have data on them they have to reformatted and that takes a long time. There are probably other negatives, but I can't think of them at the moment :cautious:

"I suggest DVD "-" or "+" discs. There are also a number of free online backup options which can be a good choice depending on how much data you have.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

If you don't plan to keep your backups forever, RW discs are fine IMHO. A quick erase takes only a few seconds. I always burn two copies of every RW disc used for backups.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I use RWs for things like linux distros or any .iso tool that I want to test on a live machine (as in, not vm but real hardware). I find them to be slow and unreliable overall. Some optical drives don't mind them, some hate them. Some burns work fine, others don't. Media, drives and burning software might all effect how well the burn is.

CDs are cheap, but I have enough cds laying around I don't need more, especially considering much of what I might burn is updated multiple times a year.

I wish they made faster ones, as they are pretty slow compared to normal media.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.