DVD-R/+R Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cqdx11, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cqdx11

cqdx11 Registered Member

Hi !

Could someone please confirm that backing up an image on DVD directly from TI is only possible with DVD -RW/+RW ?

So, if I'm right, if I need to burn my backup images on DVD -R/+R I got to make a splitted backup on my hard disk and to burn it manually ? Am I correct ?

Tnx in anticipation

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cqdx11,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

The current version of Acronis True Image does not write to DVD disсs directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. We may recommend you to install a UDF packet DVD writing software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD, format DVD disсs by means of this software and then use formatted disсs with Acronis True Image.

Please also follow the next link to get more information about writing on DVD: http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#20.

We will certainly implement direct DVD recording in Acronis True Image in the future.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello cqdx11,

Firstly, Acronis have stated they can't guarantee that TI is compatable with DVD-R in every situation. I know it works o.k. for me but that might not be the case for everyone. Secondly, when imaging direct from TI, the DVD needs to be preformatted via UDF packet writing software. As far as most of us are aware, the only software that can "format" a DVD+R is Roxio's DirectCD/Drag-to-Disk although I suspect it's a bit of kludge and not true formatting as we know it.

So, yes, use DVD+/-RW when imaging directly unless you want to use Roxio's kludge to record to DVD+R. When recording an image using the indirect, two-step, method you can use DVD-R at your own risk otherwise use DVD+R or DVD+/-RW. Personally, I use DVD+/-RW every time as there is a fairly high risk of data corruption when burning to any DVD. That way I don't end up with a pile of worthless "coasters"!!

More details on how to image to DVD are contained in the <Acronis True Image Online FAQ>.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.