DVD player won't recognize CDs/DVDs

Discussion in 'hardware' started by m00nbl00d, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hello folks,

Here I am asking for help to the more knowledgeable people.

The issue I'm having is the following. Thursday night, I noticed that Windows Defender hasn't been updated since 2009-04-24. It just would say that there were no new updates. I know I could have cleaned the corrupted updates, but, instead I downloaded the defintions to apply them manually.

Later on, I could create an image file from a DVD. So, there was no issue of what so ever. Then, like 2 hours later, I shutdown the computer. The next day, at afternoon, I was going to record an image to a DVD. I notice that the DVD player wasn't recognizing the empty DVD. I switched to another just in case. Still doesn't recognize it. I insert a recorded DVD and it does not recognize it either.
    I went to see if there was any problems with the DVD player's driver at the Device Manager, but all is fine. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the driver. Didn't do the trick.

To see if it was a problem with the DVD player or if something messed with the capability of the DVD player recognizing DVDS/CDS, I inserted my Windows Vista DVD and rebooted. The system boots with the DVD. So, the DVD player has no problems. But, something is preventing it from recognizing DVDS/CDS.

So, I decided to go back in time, using Windows Restore. When the restore finished, the DVD player could recognize the DVDS for a while, but, then it stopped recognizing.*

I must confess that I'm not that an expert in what comes to hardware, unfortunately. I really don't know what else to check and try.

If any of you as passed through this before, or have had a similar experience, I'd appreciate any help, because I'm totally lost here.

* I doubt it is related to it, and, maybe it was my mistake, but, as soon as I re-applied my software restriction policies, and when I rechecked, the DVD player no longer would recognize the DVDs. As I say, I really doubt it had anything to do with it, because I've had them for a while now, and they never gave problems, and none regarding the DVD player. So, I leave this out.

P.S: This morning, I even restored again to a moment before manually updating Windows Defender, but, this time, no deal. Not even for a while. But, the first time I restored to a moment before updating Windows Defender, it did allow it to recognize the DVDS, so, I strongly believe that the culprit was this.

I don't know if it will help anybody (and sorry for not being able to upload a picture right now), but I started ImgBurn, the program I use to record DVDs, and I chose the option to verify the disk and this is what I get:

Thanks

Edit: By the way, I'm running a laptop. The brand is unnecessary as it is one from my country, and not sold anywhere else.

2. m00nbl00d

Update: Now, not even Windows Vista DVD will boot.

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I am probably less knowledgeable than you but would suggest you try uninstalling Windows Defender.

I would think that in the worst case scenario you could reinstall the OS and then restore using one of your images to a point before the problem began. Certainly more work than is ideal but I would think this should get you back on track. Then, uninstall and reinstall Windows Defender and you should be all up to date (I hope).

PS: long shot but you might want to try running Driver Checker or some such, perhaps there is a problem with some driver other than the one you tried to reinstall that's causing the problem.

I hope by some miracle the above helps.

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

5. m00nbl00d

Thank you for your feedback.

There's no way of uninstalling Windows Defender from Windows Vista. Its part of it. I did tried to fix this issue by disabling Windows Defender, but to no avail.

Well, as of now, there's no way to reinstall the OS, unless I get an external USB DVD player, because now, it doesn't even boot Windows Vista DVD, when it used to before.

6. m00nbl00d

7. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Sorry, I am still on XP so did not realise that WD was part of the OS. Hopefully the solution by yankinNcrankin will do it if not a call to the PCs manufacturer might be in order and if that fails to provide a solution a call to MS itself.

8. m00nbl00d

That's OK. You had the best intentions. ;)

I already contacted Microsoft yesterday (Saturday) by e-mail. I'll see what they have to say. Maybe there's something I can do. If they come up with no ideas, then I'll take the laptop to the technical department and ask them to check if a new DVD driver is able to read CDs and DVSs. If yes, then the Windows Defender update really screwed it (I don't believe its just a coincidence all this happening.), and I'll just reinstall Windows Vista with a pen drive, since I can't use the driver.

Thanks

9. axial

axial Registered Member

Unfortunately a google search for "Invalid Field in CDB" seems to indicate a variety of potential problems, ranging from bad media (CD/DVDs) to bad power supply, to a problem with the drive itself.

Could you boot in safe mode so that any SRP conflicts might not be loaded, in order to test the hardware?

10. yankinNcrankin

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  11. m00nbl00d

Considering that SRP do not apply when logging in in Safe Mode, the DVD player should have had no problems reading CDs/DVDs. But, it won't. So, the culprit - I strongly believe - are not my SRP. Also, because I was able to record DVDs before.

This all started to happen after manually updating Windows Defender. It would be a tremendous coincidence for this "malfunction" to start happen right after. It may be the case, or it may be not.

I guess I'm done guessing and trying to find a way to solve this. I'll be waiting for Microsoft to contact me. After that, I'll take the laptop to the technical department to ask them to see if a new DVD drive is capable of reading CDs/DVDs. If it is, then the problem is a broken DVD drive. If not, it was the Windows Defender manual update, and I'll reinstall Windows.

Thank you for your feedback.

12. m00nbl00d

Yes, that would be the case. I do hope that there's nothing wrong with the DVD drive.

Yes, I already updated the firmware, but, unfortunately, didn't solve it.

I have Windows Update set to alert me for new updates. That's why I realised that Windows Defender wasn't updating for a while now. I decided to manually update it, and perhaps, it was my mistake. I should have cleaned the corromped Windows Defender updates, and re-update all it's definitions. Maybe it would have the same result. No idea.

I'd also like to thank you for your feedback.

I'll let you guys and girls know how all this ends.

Thank you

13. axial

axial Registered Member

14. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

I had this problem on XP a few times, although haven't experienced it on vista, and found this fix that would always bring back my CD\DVD drives. Something corrupts the "high and \or low filters" and to fix it was a simple reg hack of deleting the filters, they rebuild themselves with a reboot. Might be worth a try before a reinstall.
    here's what to do.

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
    * Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    2. HKEY LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} On the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click OK.
    * Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM1CurrentControtSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} On `• the Edit menu, click Delete , and then click OK.
    * Quit Registry Editor.
    NOTE : After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.
    * Restart your computer.

15. m00nbl00d

@ axial and strangequark

Thank you for your suggestions. I actually have come across that article (Sorry, I forgot to mention it.) and I don't have those entries.

Edit:

I don't know if this means anything or not, but, I've found this event in the Event Viewer regarding Windows Defender, and it seems to be triggered moments after I manually updated it. It says that Windows Defender recommends checking the software that performed alterations and it points to this (I am just pasting the last part of it, which is what matters the most.)

Now, I checked that registry key, and it isn't there. But, it also isn't in my other system. But, that's odd.

Edit 2:

I was digging through the Devices Manager, and went to see the Details for the DVD driver, and at Properties (Information about location), there's Channel 0, Target 0, Lun 0.
    I went to check my other drive's properties, in my other system, and, there's Channel 0, Target 1, Lun 0.

There are some other differences as well, like the Address and others.

I don't know if it means anything, but I thought of sharing.

16. strangequark

that's strange you don't have those entries as they show up on both my vista machines. If I remember correctly from the article I read years ago if the reg keys were missing after you did the fix then the next thing to do was uninstall and reinstall your burning software and that should bring them back .......... might be worth a try.

17. m00nbl00d

But, my other system, which also doesn't have it, has no problems reading Cds and DVDs.

Anyway, it's worth a try, like you say. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled ImgBurn, but didn't do it. I still don't see that registry key over there.
    I disabled Windows Defender first.

Does anyone else have that registry key? What more data do you see there? If the same to all users, maybe placing them at the registry, would be a worth a try?

18. strangequark

here's a screen shot of the reg keys from one of my boxes.
    maybe the dvd drive itself has thrown in the towel, but it's always worth the effort of trying everything else first before doing anything drastic like buying a new one, although prices of computer bits are pretty cheap at the moment .............. the art is knowing when to stop all the tinkering and when to open your wallet.

filters.jpg

19. yankinNcrankin

After looking at your posts, Im thinking you got breached by malware. What other security programs you got protecting your box? If its not malware then you got microsoft and their fine windows defender update to thank for your troubles.....Oh and in my previous posts when I said modified registry entries and DRM I wasn't talking about firm ware updates to your CD/DVD, I meant along the lines of microsofts updates messing with your ability to use your CD/DVD. Honestly, fact that microsofts OS' get targeted alot including their built-in browsers and software like Defender, alternate security software is the way I would go. I would scan for malware using MBAM & SuperAntiSpyware, if it don't work, You should seriously consider my above suggestion, back up your important stuff to external then do the Uninstalling of the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers then reboot your system. I would do this 1st before buying another CD/DVD drive.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  20. m00nbl00d

No, the system is not infected.

As one of my last resources, I might try what you suggest, uninstall the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

But, right now, I am downloading Windows Automated Installation Kit, so that I can extract the *\System32\* files that make the CD/DVD drivers work, such as the drivers file, from the Windows Vista DVD and replace the ones at C:\Windows\System32\* with the ones I extract from the DVD.

Its a long shot, but, well, it can't get any worse that it already is. lol

By the way, I was contacted by Microsoft, and unless I phone them (paid call(s)), they won't give me any support. Right! It seems it is not enough that people pay for their system, because they need it, people also have to pay for support, when this support should be provided free, considering, specially in this case, it was a Microsoft Windows Vista update screwing up things.
    Bottom line: They mess with your system, and for them to pretend they help you solve things, you got to pay them.

I love this life. I truly do.

Edit: No done deal. This was a long shot. Didn't work. Damn it! And, I know my drive is OK. It is recognized and all, and the damn laptop is just too new for the DVD driver lens to have died. Damn you Micro$oft! I don't want to have to re-format this fellow, specially because sooner or later Vista SP2 will come out, and I always like to perform clean installs. So, I don't want to have to re-format twice.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  21. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

When my DVD Drive would not boot, run or even boot windows with a rescue disc recently. I took it into the shop & had the DVD Drive replaced. It now works fine.

22. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I wonder if this just has something to do with a Microsoft update or something. This just happened to me the other day too. I think it was Friday or Saturday. I could not get my computer to recognize a CD or DVD. I went into My Computer and the drives were missing. I have an HP Elite Vista 64 bit.

23. m00nbl00d

The problem is that nothing's wrong with my DVD drive. Even after the Windows Defender manual update messed with it (I strongly believe it is the case.), I could boot my system from the Windows Vista DVD.
    Then, in a stupid movement, I guess, I restored the system and all, and then, when I re-checked - after two days - my system could no longer boot from the DVD.

But, as a last resource I'll take the laptop to the technical department and let them change it, just to see if the new one can read CDs and DVDs. Then, I'll know for sure if it is software related (problem caused by Windows Defender update) or hardware related.

The problem is that I'll have to waste more money on gasoline, which over here is way expensive. I'll charge Microsoft for it. :D

24. m00nbl00d

Friday... Friday... May 8? Yes, indeed. Maybe... That's when I updated Windows Defender, only.

But, unlike you, my system recognizes my DVD drive just fine. The DVD drive just can't recognize anything. I tried everything I could to no avail.

In your case, it may provide useful to Devices Manager and uninstall the DVD player driver. Then reboot the system and let the new driver be found and installed. It may or not work on you.

25. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.