DVD Images-How do I

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Jakespeed, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jakespeed

Jakespeed Registered Member

I have pruchased the TI 9.1 workstation and have read the faq's and user guide. I just dont see anywhere that it actually states what the process is for DVD backup sets. I see where is has settings for when you make and image on DVD, speaking like it can be created that way from the start.
    The problem I have is when I go to create full backup and get to the point where you select the file name or enter a new one. I select the DVD drive and then have it autogen the default mybackup.tib name, but when I click next, a window pops up saying:the archive file will be created on a volume with unknown structure. I will not be able to restore this backup archive when booting from the rescue media. Im sure Im doing this wrong, so I came here to ask, ok how do you do this then?
    I'm going to guess that I just save a backup(and I dont see an "image" option even though it speaks of one early on) to my hard drive like in my docs and then use my packet software to copy it to the DVD. If this is correct will I have any issues with the file size or will it just ask for next disc as it says it does when I go to copy it? Is there anything else to worry about or any special way to restore, if this is the correct way?
    Thanks for any responses

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Sadly, TI doesn't have drivers to write directly to DVD disks. You have to format the DVD+/-RW disks first for packet writing, then TI can write to them.

The alternative is to save the image on a hard drive but split it at 4.7GB and then use DVD burning software to burn the image to DVD disks. One advantage is that this is faster, and you can use DVD+/-R disks instead of RW.

3. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

ok ive saved my image on my hard drive in 4.7gig files two 4.7g one 338mg ive got CDRW+ disks and i cant wright my backup to the disks.

it says device not ready or something like that, any help please...

o_O

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Tronics, if you are using CD media, the 4.7 gig file is too big to fit. That 4.7 gig is for dvd media. You will have to split the backup images into less than 700mb chunks to be able to burn them to cds.

5. Jakespeed

I have attempted to format one of my discs, which normally didnt need it for packet writing. My program roxio seems to have done a partial for quick use with no other option.
    Anyhow thats what I did originally and TI just gives me the error I noted, it doesnt even recognize the disk to write to, with that format.
    Im wondering too did I miss anything saying you cant use DVD+R media, thats what I was attempting it on as its so cheap.
    Thanks again

6. tronic592001

tronic592001 Registered Member

Chutsman thanks for your replie:

no m8 its DVD.
    Jakespeed thanks for your replie:

me personaly ide never use roxio easy cd creator,all i want to do is copy my backup to DVD......

o_O

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

With Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6 or later, you must format with the Drag-to-Disc utility! You are in luck because Roxio Drag-to-Disc can format DVD+R (but not DVD-R) disks as well as DVD+/_ RW disks.

My guess is that you used the format utility in the main Easy CD Creator program instead of the Drag-to-Disc format.

Let us know if that solves the problem.

8. Jakespeed

Actually I right clicked the Drag to Disc program to format the disk, it just gives me the one option on the DVD+R, partial for quick use. I am guessing they are really formatted even though it doesnt say because the one I did format would not work afterwards at all. As I stated before I normally dont need to format them.
    I still cant get TI to recognize them for use. I went ahead and made and image to the HDD and then tried to copy it with Drag to Disc which took two discs to do. I botched this as it was a single file, so Roxio had to run a classic version to even copy it which TI doesnt recognize at all for a restore, I tried to verify it with no luck. Im batting a thousand here today, lol.
    All I want as well is a program to make a complete back up of my system after initial install with it running without issues. One that I can then at any point use a recovery disc of some sort to boot up and install the system back. No hassles just a simple restore. Heck I bought a computer in 98 that had a rescue disk set with it that worked great, why is it so hard to find some program to do that now. Im sure this can be done with TI, I just havent figured it out, but it reads in the manual as if it can.
    Im wondering also, as I was going to test my back up from HDD, do you need to restore the MBR at all when doing the C drive back only, I have more unused space. This is assuming of course I get the program to work for DVD.
    It must be something stupid Im doing, but I dont see it for now.
    Thanks again for all the replies

9. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

Trying to backup to DVDs directly is the most difficult way to do backups. TI is just not ready "for prime time" when it comes to this feature. If you must keep your backups on DVD media, it is better to do it via the "two-step" method.

First put the backup images - in dvd sized chunks - on to a separate hard drive.
    Then burn those images on the dvd media with your favorite burning program.

10. Jakespeed

Just wanted to say I will still continue to try and get the DVD to work, even if its the split way.
    However I created a Acronis secure section on my drive and then copied the backup image I had created to my HDD over to the new secure section.
    I then went and booted with my XP disc and deleted my working partition and then rebooted with the Acronis recover disc and performed a restore from the secure sector. It seemed to work flawlessly, so far, Im using it now.
    This for now is great, I will post back if I find any bugs in this restore, but it seems exactly like it was before. I dont feel 100% safe yet though.
    Thanks and good luck to all

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jakespeed,

Regarding imaging to DVDs - perhaps you'll find this <previous reply> useful?

Regards

12. TrueImogene

TrueImogene Registered Member

When you say burn those images on the DVD media with your favorite burning program, do you mean drag-and drop onto (InCD) formatted DVD-RWs or burn them as an DVD-ROM (ISO) compilation using a program such as Nero Burning Rom?

I have my backup image split into eight 2GB .tib files in a folder on my D Drive. I have used "Drag-and-Drop" to place two .tib files on each formatted DVD. Now I read that I should have split my backup into 1492 MB size and put three on each DVD. Also, that I should 'please' use ISO compilations.

Please advise
    1. Is it best to use Drag-and-Drop or an ISO compilation, or is there a choice?
    2. If using ISO compilation, do you use formatted/unformated DVD-R or -RW?
    3. Which split is better to use, 1492MB or 2000MB, and why?

Thanks for your help in clearing up this fuzzy area for a former Ghost/D.I.user!

13. Thiggy

Thiggy Registered Member

Just a note to say that in my experience with build 3567 a direct backup to DVDs can be done if the DVDs are preformatted as described in prior posts; however, when manually selecting options to also write the full or One-Click versions of Acronis Home to the DVDs, the write will fail. Direct backup with default settings will work.

In addition, if you have preformatted DVD RWs with a previous backup on them and you wish to use the same disks again, you need only to delete the backup files on the disks. There is no need to reformat or erase the disks.

14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TrueImogene,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that when you save images to DVD using the so-called "two-step" method described in this FAQ article, you can burn the beforehand created .tib files to DVD in any way you want. As you already noticed, there are two approaches available: burn a usual ISO compilation or use Drag-and-Drop interface with UDF formatted DVDs. There are only two restrictions you should be aware of:

1. It is recommended to finalize DVDs when burning an ISO compilation.

2. You should not use UDF versions higher than 2.1 as they are not supported yet.

Otherwise, images placed on DVD may not be visible for Acronis True Image when it is operating in Acronis Rescue Environment, i.e. when using Bootable Rescue CD or Acronis Startup Recovery Manager.

As for the type of DVD media, please feel free to use any type of DVDs you can burn files to.

Please also note that there is no need to format DVDs in order to burn an ISO compilation.

There are no any special recommendations on this matter as the split size is always up to your needs. However, you may find this post made by Menorcaman helpful.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  15. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dthigpen,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that the current version of Acronis True Image does not support creation of bootable DVDs. Therefore there is no point in adding Media Components such as Acronis One-Click Restore when you save images to DVD. At the moment, the additional Media Components can be written to CD, removable Flash Drive or ZIP drive only.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.0 in the respective User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello dhtigpen,

I have posted a <revised procedure> in the long-running thread titled "How to create bootable rescue DVD(s):", which takes into account that the latest builds of TI9/TI9.1 can generate bootable ISO images of the rescue media. You may find that it more or less meets your requirement.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.