DVD drives don't show up

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BlairO, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlairO

BlairO Registered Member

Neither of my LG DVD multidrives on the secondary IDE port are recognised when I use the Acronis boot disk (safe). However, they do show up when using the full version boot disk. I don't like using the full version because it seems to freeze-up a lot and one of my hard drives constantly makes a slight high-pitched whinning noise. Is there any way to make the DVD drives show up in a safe Acronis boot?

Thanks for any help.

2. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

what chipset does your motherboard use e.g. Intel 965, Nvidia Nforce2, etc. ?

If you don't know, and can't find this out then telling us what motherboard you have will probably help us tell you and may give us a clue as to the problem and solution.

Thanks,
    Phasechange :cool:

3. BlairO

BlairO Registered Member

Thanks for the response, Phasechange.

According to the user guide the chipset is an Intel 865PE. In case it's relevant, I have 2 hard drives, the first is on the primary IDE and the second is a SATA drive.

Blair

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I have an Intel 865PE chipset in an Asus P4P800. It performs flawlessly. I did have one IDE and a SATA drive but now both are SATA. I have a LG CD-ROM and a LG 4163B multi-drive DVD on the secondary IDE channel.

You should be able to use the Full mode without any problem. Did you run chkdsk /r on the whining drive to see if it has any bad sector problems?

5. BlairO

BlairO Registered Member

Seekforever,

I just finished running chkdsk on both drives and there weren't any bad sectors on either. The whining sound isn't all that loud, it just had me worried.

I'll just use full mode, it works, it just hesitates when restoring and seems like its frozen (mouse pointer lags for over 15 seconds), but it completes the job.

Anyway, I'd probably be better off going out for a coffee instead of sitting there watching TI restore my disk.

Thanks for your help.

Blair

6. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

Try making a BartPE boot cd and include the Acronis Plug-in and see if that is any better.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello BlairO,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build of the appropriate version of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software. Also it is recommended to create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please note that full variant is based on the Linux operating system and uses Linux drivers for getting access to all hardware devices. It has it's own assortment of drivers for the wide variety of modern hardware. The safe variant is based on the DOS environment and generally doesn't provide you with an access to the USB, PCMCIA, SCSI, RAID devices and the network. It is recommended that you use the safe variant only if the full one doesn't work.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.