DVD Drive Help.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Oct 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, my DVD drive was broken so as a last resort i updated the firmware, the problem was it wasn't the correct firmware but i thought "the stupid thing's already broken what does it matter?" well, now it's totally dead, no power, nothing. i don't want to fix it because it looks too laborious

when i get a new DVD player how will i install the drivers? does it matter i broke my D drive? thanks.

2. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

I guess the question to ask ice was it still in its warranty? If it was you might have a problem with updating the firewaire to the wrong version, as it will mean the warranty is now void unless you can change it backo_O

T

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You just install it, then you go into the bios to save the new drive.:)

4. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Ice,

Not sure which OS you use, but XP will take care of the driver for the new DVD burner. My 16X NEC did not come with drivers. Plug & Pray

Regarding firmware. Ugh! On the above mentioned NEC, I had an error on the firmware update. The update needed to close. Next the drive was not recognized, nor would the tray open, also device mgr. did not have the correct DVD player listed. With nothing to lose. I closed everything in the system tray, ran (flashed the firmware) update again, now she's perfect wonderful.

Be advised that firmware updates for DVD generally only make, more media available. Some brands do not play well with drives, hence the firmware allows for more media brands. So says tech. support NEC!

Try re-flash with the correct firmware, keep your fingers crossed, pray to the digital gods, and maybe you will get lucky

Take care
    rico

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks for the help. i don't think it's still under warranty. i'll leave it as it is. the fix involves making boot disks, booting into dos twice and three reboots :eek: i'm too lazy and it's broken anyway.

as long as i can install a new drive OK i'm happy :)

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Which exact model of DVD drive do you have? :)

If you have a brand like LiteOn/Sony/Samsung (which uses a MediaTek chipset), then you can use MTKFlash or WinMTKFlash. You'll have to google the info on whether your drive has a MediaTek chipset. WinMTKFlash *may* recover a misflashed drive.

Download MTKWinFlash here: http://digi.rpc1.org/mwf.htm

You should also see this page: http://etna.rpc1.org/

As far as upgrading firmware goes, I've done it a hundred times or so on my Samsung Combo, and no problems so far. Just use the utility provided by the manufacturer of your drive and make sure you have the correct file.

And yes, firmware mostly only increases drive compatibility with certain media. :)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, FC i have a
    DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDR8162B (40x )
    Chipset : VIA P4M266 (VT8751)

it's broken though so i'm not going to fix it. just as long as i can install a new drive easily i'm not worried. :) thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.