DVD decoder

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xxx, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Nick & Cochise,

You could we be right Cochise and the trials could have adware and spyware. As I said free in price means not free from adware or spyware. I suspect you pay one way or another. However at this stage I have not fully checked Nick's suggestion of 'inmatrix''. If I'm honest, I have to say, that if it works, I feel it will have adware or spyware. Thanks for both of your replies.

Does anyone know if 'inmatrix' has adware or spyware?

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

3. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello Nick,

Thank you for your reply regarding 'inmatrix'. I have read the artical and found it interesting. I have had a look at their web page and downloaded the player. It would not allow me to play a DVD. When I load a DVD into my PC the inmatrix player is not one of the players provided as a option. I checked the FAQ pages of the web site and found the following information. "Zoom Player is a smart DVD playback interface, it does NOT contain the Audio and Video filters required for decoding and decryption of DVD data. These components come with all major DVD playback software...". The filters they refer to are decoders, which has already been stated, are required to play a DVD on a DVD player. Thus, I have one more player and still no decoder.

It would appear that much more is known about DVD players, than is known about decoders. Many know how they got there player, but they do not know how or where they got the decoder. It is though it just happens, except on my computer.

How is it that others of you download a player and play DVDs and I download a player and do not? I don't have a decoder. Where do you 'others' get your decoders? If it is included with your player, why is it not included in my downloaded players?

4. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi again :)
    I am very sorry to have not been able to help you and despite making numerous inquires have drawn a blank. I myself have never downloaded any codacs so all i can think of it that the codac of which you are after has come bundled in a piece of software that i use like Nero for example. I will continue to make some further inquiries and if i get any joy will let you know

Best regards

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

What about the Elecard MPEG-2 decoder? Does it work?

6. xxx

xxx Guest

Hellow Nick and Firecat,

Firstly to Nick, thank you for your persistence. I suspect that a DVD decoder is supplied in comercial software, when it is supplied with the DVD hardware - drive-. If you use a player, other than any supplied by the commercial software, then the other player still uses the commercial decoder on your system. When I did a complete reinstall of windows and wiped by HD clean, I lost the commercial DVD software. I was not supplied with any software discs. The software was just on the HD. Thus, I can not reinstall the DVD software - decoder -. Therefore, you probably can use players to play DVDs because you have commercial software for your DVD drive on your system. If you or others do not have commercial software installed and can still play DVDs, then I do not understand why DVDs will not play on the same player installed on my PC.

Secondly to Firecat, the 'Elecard MPEG-2' is commercial and may well work because it is 'commercial' software. I have been looking for a DVD decoder that if possible is freeware and also free from adware and spyware. However, until someone is able to prove me wrong, I suspect that my reply to Nick above is correct. You pay for a DVD decoder or you have a decoder with adware and or spyware. If you or any others know I'm wrong, I would be pleased to hear from you to explain. Thank you both for your replies.

7. I am having the exact same problem. just buy one of the codecs off of the windows media site, and save yourself from a headache. There are no free and clear decoders out there. Unless you know of a 1337 h4x0r who can write the program for you... :)

8. xxx

xxx Guest

Hello NukeTheWhales,

If I'm to be honest, I was begining to think the same. Whilst I do not wish you any troubles, as you have experienced the same decoder problem, it does explain that it may not be just something I have, or have not done. In addition it is a help to know that it is not my PC, that is not working correctly. I expect to have a word with my local PC shop, about any DVD drive software they may have, which could solve the problem. I am considering this because of the service and help they have provided in the past. Thanks for your reply and let's both hope that others may still find something we don't know. It may not be too late!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.