DVD Confusion

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Peter2150, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Have a question about DVD usage. Assuming the drive supports both, how do you decide if you want DVD +R or DVD -R? Likewise in the rewritables there is DVD +RW and DVD -RW. Again what are the decision factors.

Thanks, Pete

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

From my personal experience (I burn about 30 dvd's a week) I have better compatability with the most machines and dvd players with DVD+R and DVD+RW

bigc

3. Capp

Capp Registered Member

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Thanks [​IMG]

6. Peter2150

That is a great link. I may call my computer company as the drive properties list it as a -R drive. Nero system analysis show it supports both -R/RW +R/RW and DL which is the Dual Layer. I didn't even think the drive supported that. Based on that I would guess I can use either, but -R/RW might be better.

Thanks for the responses.

Pete

7. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

A friend of mine ( no names) has copied and burned 521 movies and all but 11 are DVD+R. The eleven that were burned on DVD-R won't play on half the players we have tried them in. According to the tech support at a sony and sanyo and panasonic they are moving away from support for DVD- disc's. We called to see if there might be a firmware update to be able to use the DVD- more often since we have several hundred blank DVD- disc's. But it looks as if we will be out of luck with those blanks. I have two new sanyo dvd players and they don't read DVD- very well. My sons sony and panasonic are about the same. At least the DVD- will record data pretty well so maybe we have a use for all of the blank DVD- disc's after all.
    bigc

8. Peter2150

Thanks BigC. That pretty well answers the question.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.