dvd burner does not burn and only reads?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by taleblou, Feb 27, 2015.

1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

I do not know why my pc dvd burner suddenly does not write or burn and only reads? I tried everything I could from lense cleaning to other things and nothing worked. Troubleshooting shows no issue. So I has to use an external dvd burner connected to my pc. Searching online yield no solution.

So has this happen to anyone or does anyone have solution or an idea whats wrong?

P.S. I had replaced my old broken dvd burner 3 months ago. So its new. Thanks for any help.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

It's buggered, mate.
    Buy a new one. They are very cheap.

4. taleblou

thanks for replies. I have used winfix software and reset dvd drive and not working. Also this is a newly formated windows 7 ultimate I did it 2 days ago. Also this is the second dvd burner I install on this pc which is an ASUS brand (damn ASUS sucks big time for me). I bought it in September 2014 and already its dvd burner died and I installed a new one and the new one is acting strange. My other brands never had any of these issues.

I tried the MS fix it and did not solve the issue.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'd try different burning software & different media.

As mentioned if it's hardware they are cheap even internal laptop burners. Most are universal & just use the old faceplate. $20 or less delivered in US.

6. taleblou

well I bought a brand new LG dvd burner and was not cheap. 45 CAD. I changed the burner and still the same issue? So I decided to change my windows to factory win 8.1 from win 7 and had the same issue. SO I decided to use burnaware instead cdburn-xp and windows own burn program and voala the burner began to burn normally?

I still do not know what is going on? But for now Burnaware seems to do the job right. A big big mystery. Damn I hate ASUS pc. Never had this much issue with my previous acer, e-machine, HP pcs. Ever since I got a new ASUS pc last fall, the burners began to die or act strange and issues popup.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well if you had tried what I suggested you would have saved 45 CAD. But since my posts are invisible I understand & forgive you. LOL

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

could very easily just have been your high and low filters very common issue and very easy to fix.

9. taleblou

the old burner did not burn with burnaware. But at-least the new burner does burn with burnaware on win 8.1. Also tried both cd-r and dvd-r and the same result. So something strange going on. Never had this issue with any old pcs.

10. taleblou

whats high and low filter?? can you elaborate on that?

11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification.

12. zfactor

see here for more info and a possible fix. i have seen this happen many times and usually unless the drive is bad its a easy enough fix with a few registry fixes. you can look under manually fix registry entries for how to fix the filters or they have a tool to try that sometimes works and does it for you. i always do it manually though.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

13. taleblou

thanks but that does explain the issue with a clean install of windows or that it suddenly began acting up.

14. zfactor

i was not aware it was a "clean" install. many people like myself have images we keep and can switch back and forth between them. also when you said "factory" to me that means they way a system came from dell or hp etc and i have actually seen this issue on many brand new systems where otherwise people would end up returning the system (i handle warranty repairs for some major brands)

also it can be sudden for it to happen. one day it will not do it and the next day you may wonder why your drive is not working. it just will start up sometimes out of the blue, most times its from a program changed the filters but i have seen a system that had no other burning or cd /dvd software at all on it and she called me and this is what fixed it. just something to remember if you ever have a problem again

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.