Dust covers for cables

Discussion in 'hardware' started by luciddream, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Back when I used computers with IDE drives they always came with those rubber, protective sleeves on the ends of em for the ones not in use, to protect them from rubbing against something metal in the case namely. Dust. Or just protection in general.

In this new computer I got with SATA cables I see no such things on the ends of them. There are 2 SATA power cables in there I won't be using, and I don't like the idea of not having caps on them. And also one for a 1394 network port I won't be using.

I figured it'd be easy to find something like this... but I don't see them anywhere on Amazon. I found some on this site, but I'm not familiar with it and WOT ratings aren't that great (in the high 60's):

http://www.vpi.us/esata-covers.html

The ones at the bottom are what I'm looking for. Does anyone know of a reputable site I could purchase them from? And without getting like a ton of them/bulk, just a couple (I only need 2)?

And also one for the 1394 port, which is tiny and exactly the same size as the power cable for my card reader drive that I took out... just over 1/2" wide and 1/4" high.

Do they just like not even bother putting protective covers on these things anymore, or what? I think that they should.

Much appreciated...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. luciddream

Well I got the ones for the SATA power cables anyway. Now I just need to find one for the 1394 cable, which is identical to the side of a card reader drive that plugs into the motherboard. I have a picture of both right here:

Not the clearest, I know, but... as you can see they're identical in size. The red one is the 1394 one, and the blue for the card reader drive. I wish I could just yank the cord out entirely, but I can't, it's like soldered onto the front of the case along with some USB ports & a mic/headphone port.

So I'd like to find a nice cover to put over it like I did with my SATA power cords now... like I've always done with ALL of my IDE drives (easily). Now it seems like some huge hassle these days all the sudden. Like nobody even cares... and nobody addresses the concern (perhaps because there no longer is one). Well I guess I'm just old school. I feel better knowing those things won't brush up against something metal inside my box with juice flowing through them.

If it comes down to it, I'll jerry rig something up... but I'd prefer to do it proper.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      180.3 KB
      Views:
  3. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  4. luciddream

Thanks, that first link may have some promise, but looks more like a dust stopper for the front of a 1394 port, not the other side of the cable. but ya never know till ya try.

I've already whipped up a ghetto solution with a couple modified extra hoodiebuddie earphone pieces and some electric tape. It's do the trick if need be, but I was looking for something a bit more comprehensive.

5. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

I was not sure if that looked right or not. I think the rubber dip would work if you wanted to make your own custom covers.

6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

7. luciddream

Actually I just figured out a way to remove the 1394 adapter & cord entirely after taking the front off and unscrewing & wiggling stuff around. So even better. I'm on a mission to keep the inside of the box as tidy as possible for better ventilation. The floppy cord I got is rounded too, and just long enough (8"). Removed a long sata data cable I didn't need that was attached to a 2'nd optical drive. In it's place got a 6" Sata cable just long enough to hook up a 2'nd HD to use as slave to write zeros to the first. Losing the card reader freed up a lot of space in there too, not to mention partitions.

Now I'm gonna grab a plug to fill in that gap where the 1394 adapter is now missing, to stop dust. But that's about it now.

8. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I think it is sad they don't provide those covers. They used be common on monitor cables too, but it seems companies spending a couple extra pennies for a hundred of those (bulk - wholesale) is too much to ask these days. :(

You might visit a local repair shop - they may have lots laying around they will be happy to get rid of if you sweet-talk them - perhaps buying something in the process to sweeten the deal.

I hate ordering something for $3 on line then have to spend $5 to ship it.

9. luciddream

Well I ordered a few dust covers from that site, so I'll see how reliable they are and report back here. I certainly hope they are, because if so it'd be a great resource for these things, as the selection is very comprehensive. It was just a small/test order. If all goes well I'll be ordering more things. I got the SATA power cable protectors I (mainly) wanted, and firewire dust cover too... only now I'm considering not using the latter and allowing that hole for some cross ventilation. I always remove one of those metal plates in the back for the same reason. I will blow out my PC every few months with a can of air anyway, that's not problem. Rather that than have hardware/CPU break from overheating.

But as for ports rarely (if ever) used, that provide no ventilation anyhow, I'd rather keep them plugged and protected. Like VGA, HDMI, 4 front USB ports, and 7 RCA jacks. And I can get them all there too. So looks like a handy site if they're honest and deliver... sure you have to buy 10 at a time but it's only like $2-3, so what the hey. I'll have some for friends/family, and spares for myself too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  10. luciddream

I can confirm that that site (VPI) is legit. Just received my covers in a timely fashion and they fit perfectly. And they even threw in a free gift... not much, just a little trinket, but still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.