During recovery, is there ant advantage booting into Windows environment vs Linux?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I was reading through my "old" Ghost 10 manual today and I noticed with its CD it boots into a Windows environment. Lately, I've been using Paragon to backup the desktop onto my exHD and have made both a thumb drive and CD from which to boot into the Paragon Linux environment. I recently used the program to recover my laptop and the Linux environment worked fine.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

normally linux will work fine but under certain circumstances certain systems will have hardware that will not be compatible. winpe is normally a more compatible boot disk for a lot of people. other than that really they both will work

3. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

Not familiar with the newer ghost. Windows environment may use a cache for faster restoration. Just a guess.

SourMilk out

4. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

The windows environment usually has better support for hardware than Linux but I like to use System Rescue and Trinity. But I have used some Linux recovery environments that didn't agree with my hardware.

5. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

It depends on how recent of a kernel version the Linux recovery disk is using. If it's a recent kernel, the hardware support will likely be better than Windows. At least this has been my experience. I never have to install drivers on modern Linux distros, whereas, even with Windows 7, I have to occasionally install drivers from disk.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

image for linux always uses the lastest linux kernel and works fine on my computers where as with the windows environment i have to add drivers once its loaded.
    linux based recovery discs are faster to load IME

linux definaty has better hardware support OOTB. with windows 7 on my desktop I have to install wireless driver and sound driver.
    where as with linux on all my hardware works OOTB.

if your hardware doesnt work with linux OOTB its most likely because the manufacturer refuses to provide open source drivers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.